Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Results are in! Cold-hardiness acid test...

bcfromfl
17 years ago

Hi everyone --

I see a lot of posts here about cold concerns, winter-protection, etc., and wanted to offer my observations this season regarding the cold hardiness/sensitivity of six varieties I have. We dodged the bullet this past weekend of potential freezing temps, so, I think I can be confident now that we won't get another freeze this spring.

This region of Florida in the Panhandle is surprisingly cold in the winter. As a matter of fact, we aren't even as mild as parts of South Carolina! I live just 16 miles from the Gulf coast, but it's far enough that I have no benefit of the "Gulf effect" in moderating temperatures. From November through April, our nightly temperatures are most frequently in the 40s, with occasional milder spells into the 50s. This winter past, I think we had 15-20 nights into the mid-to-low 30s, and perhaps eight mornings into the high 20s. Typically, low temperatures here will drop quickly in the early morning hours, so that freezing temperatures are present no more than three or four hours. However, in December we had a blast of Canadian air that kept us under freezing for 12 hours, hitting a low of 20F.

I grow SDC, California Gold, dwarf Namwah, dwarf Brazilian, ice cream, and Pisang Raja. Last fall I tried winter-protecting with giant tarps to preserve the developing bunches, but was unsuccessful against the brutal winds. Otherwise, my plants had no protection. The CalGold, Namwah, Brazilian, and ice cream (twelve-foot trunks) all made it with trunks intact, and currently have new leaves coming out the tops. The SDC and Pisang Raja (had a seven-foot trunk like many of my others) died to the ground, but are sending up vigorous pups.

Next season I'm going to cut the Pisang Raja trunk to four feet, and surround with a cage filled with leaves and wrapped with plastic. The SDC I won't worry about since chances are I wouldn't be able to get it to fruit anyway.

My hope is that since the trunks have a head-start this year, I'll be able to get them to fruit before the first of July. Late-bloomers just don't have enough time to develop before frost. Last year the dwarf Namwah was fruiting, and I had massive bunches on the CalGold and ice cream that just started too late.

California Gold is often cited as the variety to grow and fruit in zone 8. I've only successfully harvested the dwarf Brazilian so far, but I'm here to say that those of you in cooler zones may have more choices when it comes to "cold fruiters"!

-Bruce C.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio