Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julesmom_gw

Red Banana questions

julesmom
14 years ago

Last year I purchased a Red Banana plant. In the fall I cut it off and stored the bottom in my basement. I got it out and potted it in March. We have had some really hot weather recently in St. Louis. So I planted it in the ground last weekend. Can anyone tell me when I will start to see some signs of life? I have started to see life from my Musa's but nothing from the red plant.

Comments (5)

• shannon2009_2009
    14 years ago

you should be good to go with the red banana. as long as the ground temp stays above 68 and its not standing in water and drains well

• v1rt
    14 years ago

julesmom,

I'm interested with what you did. Do you have any pictures when it was in the basement? I would like to know how you kept it, how you put it in the basement, etc.

Thanks!

• julesmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I checked on the red banana this morning and I have a pup! Very exciting. As far as storing it in the basement. I just put it in a box with in a dark section of the basement and potted it up in late March. I guess it worked!

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Was it naked? Did you remove all the dirt around the corm? Did you remove the roots? When you cut it, how much was left? Do the corms look dried out when you pulled it out from the basement?
    b Thanks!

• chena
    14 years ago

I keep mine under the house.. I remove all of the soil and allow them to dry out (very important) remove all but any new emerging leaves .. The temps stay around 46~48*f yr round.. come spring pull them out and plant.. Good luck with yours...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH