Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobenchain_gw

New to banana trees, sorry for some newbie q's

mobenchain
16 years ago

Hi all,

I've done some searching of the forum but haven't found exactly what I'm after, or at least if I did find it, I didn't realize it was the answer I was looking for...

We're in western Oregon and bought a house with an indoor atrium a few months ago. Atrium came with a big banana tree- taller trunk (corm?) is about 7 ft before splitting into leaves; smaller one is about 5 ft plus leaves. It's definitely an older plant and I'm really confused about how to take care of it- not the watering and feeding, because I seem to have that down and it seems happy enough (getting big, beautiful new leaves). I'm confused about whether I'm supposed to cut it down at some point, or do I just let them keep growing? I keep reading about pups and corms and I'm getting lost here. I suspect we may have a pup (teeny, tiny little guy peeking up out of the ground near the base of the existing 2 trunks or whatever we call them).

Our situation is a little different from a lot of the newbie posts I found because I've got a very mature plant here, it lives indoors year-round but it's planted directly into the ground since it's in an atrium. So container planting rules don't seem to apply (do they?), nor does it live outdoors and need covering, etc.

I just don't know if I'm supposed to let it keep growing and propagating over time, or if it's healthier for the plant if I cut down the oldest trunk or what. EEK! Sorry for the totally basic questions- I promise I've been searching the posts... will keep looking... ;)

Anyway, any suggestions on maintenance of a mature plant indoors in the ground would be great... ;)

Meredith

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville