Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
porkpi

An early Flag....I think

porkpi
17 years ago

We had a mild winter here. At first frost, I cut the leaves off of my 10' Orinoco. So far this year 2 real leaves have come out.

This am I looked up and a short flag looking leaf had emerged. I have never had a flower on my plants--in 13 plus years. However last year I watered them a bunch and fed them stuff.

I will try to post a photo or two later and perhaps someone more familiar with flag leaves can chime in.

Comments (32)

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

You have 2 "real" leaves. Is the 2nd one smaller than the 1st? You get a "half" leaf just before the Paddle leaf/flag. Be watching for a bulge that looks like a large ear of corn following the paddle leaf. Hope you will soon have your 1st bract opening! Keep us posted.

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By real leaves--New leaves that popped out in March.
    I think the photo below is a paddle leaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:406575}}

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is the opposite side.
    {{gwi:406576}}

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is the same plant on March 4, '06. It is the tallest of them all.
    {{gwi:406577}}

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

The half leaf is normal shape but about ½ size. It is the last leaf before the paddle leaf. The paddle leaf is much smaller than normal leaves and more round, or paddle shaped.( like a ping pong paddle)
    Your pictures show the swelling is coming and the bud will be coming out very soon. It may not be your birthday but you are getting paddled!
    The extra feeding and water you gave it last year are stored in the corm.
    Keep up the good work.

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

an update.

{{gwi:406578}}

Any guesses on how long until I can eat one? 4 months or 7 months?

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

That is a great picture of a "large ear of corn" coming out of the center of your pseudostem! All of your pictures will help many others who are waiting for their 1st time to experience the fruiting sequence. Keep sharing as the bracts are opening and the fruit is forming.
    Plan on the 7 months choice to taste your home grown bananas.
    Happy gardening!

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

porkpi, do keep us updated with more pictures!

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll do the best I can with the photos.
    Here is Thursday's update.
    I'll be gone until Monday.
    {{gwi:406579}}

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

OK, we will be waiting, but your banana will not wait! Your next picture may be the bud. Those tiny bananas in there want OUT. They have been sliding up inside the pseudostem. Now they are at the top and growing bigger. Thanks for another great picture.

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You were right dirt dew. Big changes since Thursday.
    Here is Monday's picture. WOW! That happened so fast.
    {{gwi:406580}}

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

A nice picture of your new bud! (and the paddle leaf)
    Porkpi
    You do good work, growing bananas and taking pictures of their progress.
    Be looking for a bract to open, exposing the female flowers and the very small bananas which are a part of the female flower.

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Late this afternoon I was able to confirm I have a paddle on Musa Balbisiana. It is in a large clump and very difficult to see. Another pseudostem in this clump paddled about the same time last year. The first bract opened May 5, 2005. This bud is still going and producing male flowers after almost a year. Sorry I do not have a camera, yet.

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We got hail and severe wind(tornado warnings) but everything seems fine.

I post a pic when conditons warrant.

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

I cleared some of the clump near the new paddle leaf. Now I have the tiny leaf that comes out with the new flower bud.
    I want to get a camera Sunday.
    It DOES happen fast!
    Do not blink when you are watching banana plants.

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Porkpi
    I hope things are going well there? I think you might have a large bract open now?
    My new growth looks much like your picture of April 20.

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was doddling a bit today and did not get this uploaded.
    {{gwi:406582}}

Pretty cool!

• blondboy47
    17 years ago

WOW!

• GAAlan
    17 years ago

That is very colorful. Makes basjoo look like its flowering in black and white! Be sure to post photos when the bananas mature.

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

It is beautiful!
    It was worth the wait??? (13 years) :=)
    I am sure it was.
    Keep watching as it continues to open and show more and more flowers.
    It will be opening fast now. You may see a change every day.
    You can start your countdown of 6 months to possible tasting!!
    Thanks again for sharing with us.
    Happy gardening.

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes--It was worth the wait--but for 12 years--I never even expected a flower. I had never seen one here and rarely heard of people getting bananas.

Last year when I was researching bamboo for my wife, I realized that I could be proactive with banana plants. I even bought a few other varieties. I got hooked.

This is last year:{{gwi:406583}}

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We had a nice shower tonight so I snapped a few.
    {{gwi:406584}}

{{gwi:406585}}

{{gwi:406586}}

Do I need to worry about those babies getting sun burned?

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Your banana plants looked good last year. Now with all those small fruits you are really hooked! The colors are eye catching.
    Some protect the fruit from the sun, I do not.
    Be watching for a half leaf on other pseudostems. I now have a half leaf on a second pseudostem in the same clump. The paddle leaf is just starting to emerge.
    The bud on the 1st one has curved down, but no open bracts yet.
    FYI
    Hummingbirds love the nectar in the banana flowers!

• GAAlan
    17 years ago

I cannot get over just how colorful that is! I have Orinoco myself, but I doubt I'll ever see an inflorescence. Now, at least, I can see what I am missing!

I have two "clumps" of basjoo blooming now and just today was I able to get a shot of the shortest one. The first set of bracts are still present. See what I mean by its looking like black and white compared to yours, very little color.......

{{gwi:406587}}

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Gaalan
    Your Basjoo may not be as bright, but it is still a spectacular sight.
    Be proud of it!
    Thanks for sharing.

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

The first bract opened and I have my first new hand of bananas for 2006. It looks much like the picture of May 3 Orinoco.

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

This morning I have 2 more new hands on the same stem.

• vibez
    17 years ago

Any new pictures?

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:406588}}

I have been out of town and will be for a few more weeks. I snapped this on on Memorial Day.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Great pictures!
    The timing on this bunch is perfect because you'll have plenty of bananas to harvest around November. Each year that's what I hope for so I can make banana bread for Christmas presents. Always fun to send banana bread to northern friends and tell them the fruit came from your own trees!
    Enjoy!

Kate

• porkpi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We just snacked on 3 of the bananas this morning. 4 months. The fruits were small but very tasty! 3 Leaves did not cut it this summer. The stalk bent over, but never broke. 10 fruits survived. I have 8 more bunches of orinocos in various stages of green.{{gwi:406589}} Two basjoos are blooming, I have hand pollinated the female flowers of one wwith the male flowwers of the other. Should be intersting eating basjoo fruit.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

porkpi - thanks for posting this long update! I've been lurking in this thread since you first posted it and it's been fascinating to watch your 'nanner produce for you! Great job and congrats!!!!!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia