Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this need to be buried?

Posted by evaldas (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 14:46

Hi. I've had this banana plant for almost two years. It seems to be doing great during summers, but during our very dark winters it's doing very poorly. My question is, does the corm need to be buried in the potting soil, so roots may grow out of it, or not and if buried it would cause rot? Maybe it's doing poorly because the corm is exposed?

Right now that brown part is about 5 inches above the ground where the leaves were attached to the corm, but died and dried off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this need to be buried?

evaldas, it does seem exposed but I don't think you should bury it. It appears healthy with various stages of pups growing around it. You're right that burying it could induce rot.

Is it inside? It is very normal for bananas not to look great inside in the winter and definitely outside.

If you wanted to bury it a few inches, I'd do it only once you're outside temps are warm and the banana is starting to actively grow. At that time you could also separate a pup or two.
Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here