Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oppalm

dried out bananas?

oppalm
17 years ago

I stored 4 banana plants (overwintered) in a semi-finished basement. The basement temps are in the 65-75F range. These plants were/are 4-6 foot tall. They have almost completely dried out, the pseudo stem looks like a dry stalk of corn. What do I do? do you cut off at the top of the corm and plant the corm in the ground when the soil warms up or are the nanners gonners? What do you think?

Comments (8)

• tropicolorado_z5a
    17 years ago

Oppalm, I basically have the same situation and inquiry. I've got three new basjoos on order just in case. Only places I had to overwinter mine I thought would be too warm (indoors) or too cold. Any experts have any advice/comment ? Are they goners?

• diana55
    17 years ago

Did you wrap the Corm(Bulb) before storing them? Check the Corm, if it's dried out then its a goner. If it's still moist then I would plant it. You would be surprized what bad shaped Banana's, come back!!! They are really tough!!! Diana55

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Trim the stem back until they have green parts. If you don't find any, plant the corm when temps are 70+ and see waht happens. If it isn't mushy, there may be hope.

• oppalm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I dug them out of the ground, cleaned off as much dirt as I could and stored them in a dark room in brown grocery bags. They have dried out. If that's the wrong thing to do, how do I do it correctly? I don't have a 50F room I can store them in. HELP

• diana55
    17 years ago

The easiest way I find to storing Banana's is to store them in pots. Make sure you have lots of Peat moss in the soil. You can cut them back if they are too big to bring in. They keep growing through out the year. I put mine in the garage. Diana55

• lee466
    17 years ago

I store mine in pots during the winter, and water them once a month, and they keep at least one leaf on them until they produce another one, and when I put them back in the ground I mix some shultz starter solution, and they purk back up in less than a week. I would put them in the ground, and put the starter solution on them, and put mulch around them, I like to use oak mulch they just love the stuff, don't give up now, because I've even brought back gardenias when they looked like sticks, If they still have a little life in them, just pamper them and they will come back.
    Lee

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

I store mine in pots filled with soil from the ground, for 2 reasons:

1) natural soil will hold small amounts of moisture for a long time because of the clay content, so there is much less risk of the rhizomes drying out with an occasional very light watering; as opposed to peat which becomes bone-dry and difficult to re-wet; and,

2) high amounts of peat tend to harbor those annoying fungus gnats if it's too warm.

I haven't had any losses to date with bananas and many other tender plants.

just my 2 cents

x

• oppalm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

good advice. thanks everyone. I think I am going to use one of the rubbermaid totes or plastic tubs with handles to store the corms and then throw some dirt in it to help keep things alive and water sparingly.