Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

how did pitogo do for you?

red_sea_me
17 years ago

Pitogo bananas seem to be an interesting one to have. Short stubby fruit supposed to taste good. I bought one last fall as a TC, overwintered it in a pot. I just put it in the ground last week, it is about 2+' tall.

my questions:

How did it survive the winter for you? Has it ever flowered/fruited? How long did it take? How tall?

just a little anxious,

grow, grow, grow,

-Ethan

Comments (6)

• laterita
    17 years ago

A pitogo is difficult in colder regions. My short (40 cm) plant didn't survive. Another was placed in a warmer place and is now 80 cm tall. It will take at least some years before fruiting, so no info yet.
    Simon

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the response Simon, goodluck with yours.

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Mine turned out to not be a Pitogo.

• bananasdotorg
    17 years ago

My Pitogo when it was a little younger:

This one grows slow for me but I recently moved the irrigation closer to it to help that out.

• bananimal
    16 years ago

red sea me

I live in zone 9b, right? Should be no problem, right? My first pitogo produced leaves, and each new one got smaller and smaller and finally rotted out. The supplier said it was TC and came from a 6" pot, bareroot. We had several cold snaps -- for PSL this year -- it was nearly 32 degrees. It went in the ground Feb 2, groundhogg day. It showed some growth but then went downhill slowly.

I believe that it was a combination of cold, right then, plus mousey development earlier coming out of a 6" pot -- that's to say, for this particular banana type. The quick fix -- find another supplier! Got a 4' pup cut off the parent and it has just produced a 3' new leaf after a month in the ground. It should fruit this year.

Bottom line -- cold is bad, small is bad. So hold it potted until it is really warm out. Oh yeah, compost with cow manure to whack those freaking nematodes!!!

I'll have pups soon, let me know.

bananimal

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for your responses,
    my pitogo is still the smallest and slowest growing of my bananas, but it is growing. I hope it will get nice and big this year, and maybe if it is not too crazy this winter, next year some fruit? More likely the following year if it stays at this rate.

thanks again,
    -Ethan