Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan1465_z7nj

New Jersey Basjoo un-covering

dan1465_z7nj
16 years ago

I've been checking the weather and decided to un-cover my Basjoos today. I live in Northfield New Jersey, just outside of Atlantic City. I was planning on doing it on April 20th which would have been the same day I did it last year but, I just couldn't wait anymore.

I'm REAL happy as they look healthy and have already started leafing out. We're going way over the Roof this year....

These are the Pictures as promised.

Danny

{{gwi:406974}}

{{gwi:406977}}

{{gwi:406980}}

{{gwi:406982}}

{{gwi:406985}}

{{gwi:406988}}

Comments (8)

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

Nice work Dan. Those guys are really looking good for this time of year. Neat pictures.

Looks like you got a pup coming up on the bottom picture..

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Super job, Dan!!!!

• lee466
    16 years ago

I just couldn't wait either, I was really early uncovering mine, early March, but I put some left over greenhouse plastic over it, and about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I removed everything, and didn't get to freezing at all since uncovered completely, 99% of march was above freezing, but a couple nights got below freezing, and April so far not a day below freezing. I got a great start on mine this year, it was only 19" when I took the mulch away, and today it is 36", and most in the past week, and now one has 2 leaves now, and got more on other ones are also coming, in the past 2 days one of them grew 4" of new trunk, and now that one is pushing out a leaf, but here it was warm enough for them to grow all day rapidly, Yesterdays high was 82, the other day 80, and today 77, so banana growing weather is here in my area, but it is suppose to cool down to 33, but all this month it has been about 6 degrees warmer than they predict, highs and lows, and they will change the forcast before it gets here, 24 hours ago they were predicting the low of 34 tonight, but they changed that today to 40, so I'm not expecting it to get to near freezing, but its best to get prepared just in case. I like the pictures, and those plants look great, if the weather just decides to stay warm than mine will be as tall as yours in about 2-4 weeks, but this banana is full of surprises, you never know when it is going to change its growing habits, I just couldn't believe mine produced 2 5' leaves in a week during its 1st year, now its going into its second in about a month and a half, it grew a total of 9' in its first year, I was not expecting that to happen, and it was a total of 11' before the freeze, I also pushed it though, with double the recommended amount of 15-30-15 all purpose fertilizer, and superthrive at recommended amount.

Lee

• wilson1963
    16 years ago

Hello, uncovered mine a week ago, I had cut them to 4-6" tall, (yeah, too short), covered them with straw and plywood, but live and learn as I do, they were mush....I covered them with a clear plastic box to create a greenhouse effect and within 24 hours I had sprouts coming off the sides of the original stem. Here are some photos, one of last summer and some of this spring thus far...enjoy...Don

• wilson1963
    16 years ago

ok, try again...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• crazypalmlady
    16 years ago

WOW Dan They look great. I am uncovering mine tomorrow.
    Linda

• royy
    16 years ago

I didn't protect mine this winter, but all 3 made it and are growing. They are only a few inces out of the ground, but I suspect they will grow fast.

Roy

• dan1465_z7nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks gang, I just just wanted to share. I wish someone had told me a few years ago to cover mine to keep out the extra moisture. My results are much better now.

I think were all going to have some big leaves to show off this summer. Even if our families think were crazy. LOL

I'll post more pictures later but, promise I won't look so grim and mean. Several friends have been busting my chops over my mug shot. I included the only picture of my 5'10" self to show how tall they are starting out.

Danny

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996