Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Bananas Self Fertile

Posted by macdaddy z6a NY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 18:31

Are bananas self fertile or do I need a cross pollinator plant. I bought one oronoco.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Bananas Self Fertile

That is an interesting question. I never think they need a pollinator and wonder how they pollinate, but I do know that they have both male and female flowers in the same bloom. Most of them bloom and fruit by their own. That must have meant that they are self pollinator. So that means you don't need a cross pollinator plant. However, the question remains, can bananas cross polinate among species? I'm sure they do because I do have a banana that is a cross between Zebrina and Gran Nain to produce Sumatrana X. How they do it, I have no idea. Back to your question, you can be sure that your banana will produce fruit without another partner. However, some varieties of bananas do not produce edible fruit. Orinoco will give you edible fruit.

o
RE: Are Bananas Self Fertile

I am almost sure they are self fertile, but to encourage fruiting, use fertilizers that are potassium rich

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeremy- Moths and Butterflies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here