Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ces797

Ensete Ventricosum 'Maurelli' Safe Temperatures

ces797
14 years ago

I picked up a 3' red abyssinian banana this weekend while I was at the nursery purchasing some perennials for my garden. This guy was only $9 (cheaper than a daylily!) and such a beautiful specimen I couldn't help myself. So this was when the temp's were in the 90's and night temps around 75. This week we are only seeing daytime temps in the high 60's, low 70's and night times ranging from high 40's to low 60's. My question is at what temperature should I bring this guy into my garage? I am not worried about frost as we are now past that. Will it be fine outside at night in the 40's?

Thanks

Curtis

Comments (9)

• v1rt
    14 years ago

I own 2 of them. They are still very young.

40F-45F temp is too cold for them. I saw the results after I forgot my 2 maureliis outside about a week ago when it was raining and temp was somewhere 40F-45F. If I recall correctly, it was under that temp for almost 12 hours.

The bottom of the leaf turned brown. 2 or 3 leaves broke. I was so afraid that they might die. But fortunately, they're still alive. Some edges of the leaves turned yellow.

Just my 2cents!

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

I have been overwintering Maurellis for 3 years now, and I have not seen any real problems when they see a cold snap into the upper 30's in the spring. They obviously will not grow at those cold temps, but it should not harm them if they are healthy.

Just beware of those sneaky frosts that can occur even if air temps are close to 40F. On a clear, still night, cold air sinks and a frost pocket can turn the leaves to mush.

These used to be little babies :-)
    {{gwi:407221}}

• artu
    14 years ago

with ensete ventricosum they are not wimps but i would let them stay in the pots untill your night time temps are above 55 degrees permantly .. i let my ensetes stay in the ground most of the winter but they were covered in a plastic tent so no water cold get to them. i dug em up and potted em so i got a jump on the spring..i just planted mine...im in georgia.these things can take just about any abuse.. i cut one of mine all the way to the roots because i heard it will sucker..it didnt but now its catching up to the ones i didnt cut.

• glen3a
    14 years ago

Xerophyte, what a great picture and excellent color coordination.

Re: ensete, I found them quite frost tolerant last fall and it really took a harsh frost to affect them. Of course, as has been said, they won't do much growing if it's cold out, and at this stage you definitely don't want a set back by having the leaves frost damaged.

• funinthesunincl
    14 years ago

Xerophyte--Excellent photo and I totally agree that it has great color coordination!!

Curtis--I will preface the following that I live in Zone 9, but...

I have grown Ensete Ventricosum 'Maurelli' for a couple years, two in very large clay pots poolside and one in the ground. All three not only survived, but were totally 'uneffected' by a freak snow we had last December (3 inches, but melted the next day...). I am a firm believer in feeding all my plants Epsom salts every month, increasing the dosage in the fall to help with any chance of a cold snap down here. (That and making sure they are well watered a day or two BEFORE the cold snap). I grow many other tropicals, including many plumeria, and Epsom salts help when I have to push their tolerance of a cold snap.

My problem...a huge windstorm snapped one of the 'Maurelli's' right at the base!!! It was a good 6 foot+!!! Other bananas would grow back with pups at the base...does anyone know if a 'Maurelli' will?????? It was just beautiful with a red vibrant color, and so lush. It just happened to be at the wrong spot at the corner of the house at the pool decking's edge when the wind knocked the crap out of it! So bummed...someone plz give me news it will grow back!!

Thanks!

~Mary Jane

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

MJ

Ensete do not sprout pups but it might possibly start a new shoot if the internal growth point is undamaged. Good luck!

x

• joey_powell
    14 years ago

I have a very small one. When winter came it burned all the leaves off; but the psuedostem survived at 19 degrees! xerophyte_nyc I can see you have basically NO wind in your garden! Mine would have been shredded with leaves that big.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

After reading MJ's post, I got worried. I don't know where to directly plant the 2 bananas. I have seen all 4 sides of the house during a storm. The shrubs beside the foundation really slants badly because of the strong wind.

What are your recommendations in my situation?

• ces797
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all in the info guys. I think my Ensete is now in the clear as far as temperatures. Although I seem to be doing something wrong because the leaves all have yellow edges and are kind of limp. This happened after I transplanted it from it's nursery pot to this terracotta pot it's in now and it still looks the same although it's putting out a new leaf every few weeks

{{gwi:407222}}