Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bananas/Plantains Ready to Harvest?

Posted by solstice98 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 19:21

I've gotten pretty good at knowing when to harvest the Mysore bananas, but now I have two other kinds that may be ready. I don't want to take them too soon or leave them too long. Can anyone help?

The first one is a Rhinohorn plantain. It looks ready to me. Is it or do I wait until the whole thing is plump like the center is?

This one is supposed to be a Hawaiian. Used more as a fruit but I've read you can fry them up like a plantain too. What do you think? Are these ready to cut?

Thanks!
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bananas/Plantains Ready to Harvest?

If they were in San Diego, as a very general rule of thumb, they would need to be 6 months from flowering to be mature enough to pick green.

o

Thanks for the input. Foolishly I didn't record when I first saw the blooms. I think our seasons fluctuate more than they do in San Deigo but from now on I'll pay more attention to the timing. Typically, if I get flowering in the spring, I can be making banana bread for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so that follows your 6 month rule.
Also typical for this area, if I get fall or early winter flowering, the fruit doesn't make it through the winter - it just never matures. This year was very mild and our few cold snaps didn't last much more than a day or two.

o

I am not familiar with the variety of plantain but my immediate reaction is that the LENGTH of the skinnier portion is about twice what it should be; I'd leave it to mature some more. I should add that we always cook plantains; it is used while unripe (the 'skin' has to be removed with the help of a knife). Indeed it is referred to as 'green plantain' as the line in a calypso declares " and don't gie me no d*** muffin; ah grow up on cassava an' green plantain"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here