mastiffhoo

when do zone 7'ers...

mastiffhoo
14 years ago

uncover their naners?

Comments (9)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Mine are sprouting through the leaves which covered them.

• rokal
    14 years ago

Due to the severe winter weather this year, my pseudo-stems didn't make it despite winter protection with bags of leaves. Therefore, I cut off the psuedo-stems and left mine uncovered.

If the weather forcast calls for a freeze, I will cover or mulch the corms.

Normally, if my pseudo-stems survive the winter, I uncover them permanently around April 15th (weather permitting).

Regards,
    Rokal

• Bamatufa
    14 years ago

The local weatherman is saying we probably have had our last freeze.Next freeze for the year will be in October. Would it be okay to uncover my inground bananas and plant my new banana's ? I am eager to plant my potted banana's. They did not fare to well indoors this winter.

• Bamatufa
    14 years ago

The local weatherman is saying we probably have had our last freeze.Next freeze for the year will be in October. Would it be okay to uncover my inground bananas and plant my new banana's ? I am eager to plant my potted banana's. They did not fare to well indoors this winter.

• knotz
    14 years ago

Mine are outside now...I just watch the weather forcast...If the temps are going down into the mid upper 30's, they go back in the greenhouse...I'm not planting mine in the ground until night time temps stay around 50'.

Hope this helps :)

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I have gotten to the point now where I don't cover during winter. My basjoos are starting pretty close to the ground this year, but theres nothing wrong with that. Basjoo is fully capable of surviving zone 7 without protection, if one doesn't mind starting near ground level every year. For many years I was not of that mindset. I had to have big plants to start each new season. It is very difficult to overwinter tall stems successfully when winters are near normal. The famous hardiness of basjoo is not much imparted to its above ground tissues.

• dan1465_z7nj
    14 years ago

I live in south Jersey and uncovered mine yestaurday April 17th. Last year it was April 13th and the year before it was April 20th. I don't actually pick a date, I let the weather tell me. As long as I figure the low temperture will no longer go down below approx 38 degrees or so for the rest of the season, I uncover.

Once again, Mine did well this winter. I have a large grouping of 6 that started as one plant. I left 3ft of stem on them when covering. They now stand 4 1/2ft tall, on day 2 as they grew 1 1/2ft over the winter. That top 1 1/2 ft is always bent over by the tarp but, by this morning, they straightened right up.

• shannon2009_2009
    14 years ago

all my bananas are growing some are growing a little faster than others like my basjoo and goldfinger. orincos applebananas green-red dwarf cavendish high mini super dwarf cavendish south african gold.

• beachbum_nj
    14 years ago

I uncovered mine 8 days ago. They looked great. They ere already growing, about 6 " already.