Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will musa basjoo survive a light frost?

Posted by njw1383 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 20:06

I have a large musa basjoo in my living room which is about 4 foot tall at the moment.

I really want to plant it out in the garden now but there is still a danger of a light frost. Would the p-stem survive if I planted it out now or not?

I live in West Yorkshire (UK) which is about zone 7 or 8 I think

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will musa basjoo survive a light frost?

Yes it will most definitely survive. The risk is what if for some reason you get unreasonably cold weather. That together with the "shock" of being transplanted may cause it to lose all it's leaves. But you know your weather, so if you feel the worst that could happen is a light frost, I say go for it.
It's almost May and which is a good month for putting it into the ground to get some good growth on it this year.!

Z

o

It should be okay. I have three mature outdoor groves or patches and frost will damage the leaves but they keep growing and pushing out new leaves. I have banana fruit forming on three stalks . My Basjoos already have 5ft leaves on them which started pushing out first of Feburary. Zone 7 or 7b.

o

[IMG]http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc449/bamatufa/2013-05-02_18-34-09_116.jpg[/IMG]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here