Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brought all the banana plants outside

Posted by tmc2009 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:08

I brought all the banana plants outside. Some of the ones that were stored in the cellar died back to the corm but are still alive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bananas in New England

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brought all the banana plants outside

Those bananas looked happy after that first watering ! Liked your links !

o

Thanks. I wonder if I'll get a flower this summer from the California Gold

o

Hopefully it will.I have read they flower when they feel like it. I waited patiently all summer last year for my mature Ice Cream to flower and it did nothing but grow. My others flowered but not my Ice Cream.

o

I've heard a number of conflicting (and likely real) stories on Blue Java. It's either extremely considerate, throwing out pups left and right, growing to a great height, and then flowering like clockwork, or, it just grows and grows and never gives you anything extra lol.

o

My Ice Cream was good to me last year except for the flowering. It was probably my tallest at 12-15ft and a half dozen stalks but no bananas. A couple of my largest pseudostems/stalks did not make the winter and have fallen over. However it is pupping but would like some continued growth from at least one or two stalks and maybe get some bananas.

o

What's your fertilizing regiment like?

o

Last year it was Sunniland & Bandini Palm granular fertilizer every month until my local sources decided not to replenish it. 8-6-6 I beleive then Mircle Grow liquid once a week or every two weeks.No paticular amount. My local Publix Grocery store sold the Sunniland Palm last year( strange this far north! ) I purchased some generic 13-13-13 this year. However seeing other bananas on the web and in person I beleive the soil preparation is the key. A nice,deep loomy soil/compost seems to make them happy and give them room to expand and grow. I use a lot of pine mulch which breaks down real nice in a short period of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here