Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo coming out of dormancy photos

Posted by dpolson37 7a VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 22:54

Here are some photos taken about a week apart. The first image was taken April 1st and the other was taken April 10th. During this past week Northern Virginia had very warm temperatures in the upper 80s and the bananas really shot up. Even the one I have planted in a pot which was stored in an unheated garage now has two large leaves. Hopefully with this early start I'll end up with 15 feet basjoos this year.
From Garden 2010

From Garden 2010

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo coming out of dormancy photos

Looking good!
It won't be long now-mine are looking good too

Photobucket

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

I see Christmas lights in the photo. Would that be to keep the nanas warm during those cold Iowa winters? I have one clump of basjoos that didn't get covered up this winter and I'm waiting to see if they survived. We had record snows which would have kept them somewhat insulated from the really low temperatures, but time will tell.

o

I had them covered with a trash cans worth of mulch-
When I uncovered them I put little umbrella g-houses over them,the x-mas lights were their in case it got down around freezing-all this to give them an early jump!

o

Bananas on 4-15-10

Photobucket

o

My Musa Basjoo's haven't sprouted yet, should I be worried? We've had temps in the upper 70s to mid 80s for the last 2 weeks here in Louisville, and now we are in the mid 60s, so it not like its been cold.

o

Where is the best place to buy a Musa Basjoo? I want one and want a healthy one.

o

The only place I've found them around here is at local garden centers, not Lowe's or Home Depot. I've also gotten a couple from Hirt's Garden on Amazon.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Musa Basjoo on Amazon.com

o

kypalms, I assume you've been to William's nursery on N. Preston Hwy on the south side of Louisville?

About a week ago I passed thru Louisville on the way back to Alabama after visiting family in Illinois. I stopped in there & had a nice visit with Brian and purchased a Saba & Thai Black banana & several alocasias & colocasias. It's quite an incredible place.....I hope to get back up there sometime in the summer when everything he has planted out is growing full blast.

o

I have 2 bananas on their way. One is a Musa Basjoo, the other a Dwarf Musa Cavendish. I have never grown them before and really hope they do well. Can anyone tell me how fast both of them grow since they are different? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here