Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana leaves turning Black

Posted by footache CA zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 07 at 23:59

I planted a 12inch tall banana plant on friday.I dug a large hole and mixed in approx 50% potting compost to 50% steer manure,by saturday afternoon I noticed the very edges of all the leaves are turning black.I suspect I have added too much Steer manure.Should I dig the plant back up and re-plant it in a better mixture.Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana leaves turning Black

Yes I would replant it!!! I think Steer manure would be way to strong and is burning the leaves. It's best to just use nothing to Fertilize it, until the roots get established. I would wait for about 2 months before you fertilize!!! When it comes time to fertilize it, give it some Fish emusion. I use the organic one. The Banana's love it!!! Dig it us now and wash the corm off with water, before you replant it!!! Diana55

o

Thanks Diana55.I have dug it back up washed the roots and replanted it in a fertilizer free potting compost.I had to use something the place I planted it in was almost pure sand.

o

I think you did the best thing, as I think that Steer Manure is way to strong for Banana"s!!!Steer Manure has alot of strong acid in it, and it would burn your plant, and probablly kill it. Fish Fertilizer is really good for Banana's and they will love you for it!!! Use the Organic one. It's called Fish Emulsion,and it really smelly but it has alot of Organic matter in it, and the Banana's grow really fast when I use it. Fertilize it once your Banana's are established. Good Luck and Let me know how they are doing!!! Diana 55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here