Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana dying!!!!!!!!

Posted by fruitluvr13 SoCal 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 0:20

A little while ago I bought an ice cream banana and a red dwarf banana plant. They were both about 4 inches tall so I kept them in pots. The ice cream banana is doing very well but the red dwarf is doing VERY poorly, it may already be dead. It came with two leaves which started wilting very quickly so I kept it inside next to a window and watered it quite a bit ( I may have over watered). Part of the stem is still green but the leaves are dead. Do you guys thing there is any way to save it? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana dying!!!!!!!!

Red dwarf is one of the non-cold hardy bananas out there and in Southern California just until recently we've had temps still in the 40s which Red Dwarf's hate!
It's good it's inside. If you think it's been overwatered, it most likely has been. Now that it really has no leaves, it almost needs absolutely no water at all.
If it was only 4 in tall, it is possible it will not make it. The soil needs to dry out if it is to have a chance. Put the pot inside another pot that always dirt on the bottom and on the side to "wick" the moisture away from the pot that you're banana is in. Get it as dry as possible and wait for real growth before you even think about watering.
Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here