Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting bananas in sun

Posted by jardinerowa 9b (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 0:42

Hey all,

I have a dilemma. I have a three foot dwarf cavendish that is growing well in Phoenix shade on my balcony. Three other TC starts are growing fine and getting bigger everyday in shade.
Everyone says, oh they need sun. But the problem is this is Phoenix. I do have a bamboo shade on the balcony that only allows some sun in but I feel like if I move any of the nanners there, they are gonna turn ugly and die. I mean I'm scared to even put them in a little bit of morning sun.
They are growing fine now...should I just leave them there or should I bite my tongue and put them in sun little by little? Thanks!

Zach

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting bananas in sun

it's not the az sun that is potentially bad - it's the heat and low humidity, so water very often if in sun

o

so young, they will rot if in watered too much...az sun is hard on very large bananas but they do OK. Bananas 6 in tall is another thing! hehe.

Zach

o

If they're doing fine now, why mess with success? Plants don't always behave as they are supposed to. One very smart nurseryman I know purposely experiments with sun plants in shade and vice versa and often finds that they do better in the "wrong" conditions!

Since you have 3 of them, why not try one and see what happens if you really need to try it?

o

I am in Chandler and grow one spot in sun until about 1pm and the other spot gets sun till at least 4pm. They can look a little burnt at times but i have nanners on one that gets the sun till 4. If you are going to do it now it will have to be a little at a time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here