Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on tasty banana for zone 9/10 outdoors

Posted by fishymamas z9, So. CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 0:56

There is a house a mile away that has several bananas growing outside year-round, so I know it can be done here (by the look of the rest of the yard, they get minimal care). We have room for 2-4 types easily (I dislike palms, and just ripped out a bunch and have a 4ft X 50ft bed free now) I need some directions on where to begin.

1. I'd like to grow something tasty (I know I can't grow them cheaper than the 50-cents a LB ones at the market, so I want to go for excellent kid-friendly taste).

2. Banana nurseries on-line? If we're gonna grow our own I want to be sure I'm growing what I ordered, so reliable and cost-efficient matter.

3. Seeds or plants? I can sprout most things from seeds, but I know bananas divide into pups, and that's fine to get the variety we'd like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on tasty banana for zone 9/10 outdoors

Try cavandish or dwarf cavandish or even Saba. It will be hard to get below 50c/lb for even home grown bananas when you take into account all you will have to put into growing them.

o

In this case, since economy isn't the issue, I'd like stellar taste. I'm really blessed to live in a climate that allows me to grow 90% of what I'd like to grow.

Is there a specific grower or nursery I should look for? (or look out for, for that matter?)

o

I have several varieties, but my favorite is blue java/ice cream. grows well here, and it's not one you can get in stores. Mysore is a smaller sweet banana but It tends to be more cold sensitive and doesn't do as well. Goldfinger is productive and was developed to become a commercial variety so isn't much different than what you can buy. Saba are said to be the best tasting plantains, mine do very well and when ripened on the tree can be eaten like dessert bananas ( but we don"t). Kru is said to be very good but mine haven't done well, seem to be more cold sensitive also. the punch line is that if you, or anyone else, lives close enough to pick them up, I can give you pups of saba, ice cream and goldfinger.
I also will have a couple monzano, cardaba. e-mail me. I check it every two or three days. I live close to 91-605

o

That would be lovely. Part of the fun with gardening with the kids is I never know what they'll ask to grow next.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here