Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I ID?

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 7:13

I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local RV park was going to rip out all theirs because the plants weren't growing fast enough. While I didn't have personal experience I knew all the pups in the clumps were holding back the parents and offered to remove them. They have been in-ground in a sheltered corner since then and doing well. Problem is, nobody at the park knew what type they were or even when they were planted. The tallest is over 3 ft and putting on new growth like crazy. But I would like to get a good ID on them and don't know at what point I should snap a shot. Anyone mind educating me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I ID?

Well, since no one has answered... or can answer... I'll just link a few pics of my biggest one. If someone is able to ID it, cool. If not, at least the post will trickle down and off the page.

The current height of this one is about 2.5-3 ft to the crown, where the leaves attach to the trunk. At the end of winter it was only a foot high, so it's been putting on some decent growth. And according to a soil analysis I took to my local Extension Office, no amendments are needed or recommended. So the deep mulch of grass clippings topped with pine bark seems to be working so far. As one might notice in the pic, a new layer of grass clippings has been added to keep the organic matter up.

A closer look at the trunk in case that helps with ID. I'm guessing the black stuff on the trunk is a type of mold. So far it doesn't seem to be doing any real harm to the plant, so I haven't bothered fighting it aside from pulling off spent leaves which seem to feed it (the mold).

A view of the crown, again, in case it helps with ID purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here