Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Spots on bananas

Posted by GardenHelp none (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 8:59

Can anyone help me figure out what these spots are on my banana tree leaves? The bananas are grown in a Pennsylvania greenhouse with heat. It is around 75-80 degrees in there right now. The tree is grown in a container. It is fertilized every 3 months and watered around twice a week. This week large black spots appeared on the leaves and I have no clue what they are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Spots on bananas

Gardenhelp,

From what I can see in your photo, it appears your oldest leaves are the first affected by this blackening, and it's slowly moving upward.

I can't tell you exactly what it may be, but I'm thinking it might be overwatering. If it's not too big an inconvenience, consider repotting the banana, maybe stepping up a pot size or two, changing out the soil, and cutting back on the watering to once a week, or once every week and a half for the time being. Worst case scenario, you're out a little soil, and the plant doesn't prosper at peak performance. Best case scenario, the plant seems re-invigorated and the black doesn't form on newer leaves.

o
RE: Help: Spots on bananas

Update.

Gardenhelp, I've been posting to another thread on another forum. Someone's plant was torn away from its roots and during that time, the leaves began turning black like yours.

I'd suggest unpotting your banana and checking to see if water is properly saturating the entirety of the soil. If that looks good, I'd also check to see if there's root rot or anything slimy/unhealthy looking with the corm of the plant.

Always comes down to "feast or famine", it seems.

"Name of Link" option says this isn't a valid address, but you should be able to copy/paste to see the thread:

http://www.bananas.org/f2/i-think-im-gonna-cry-17903.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here