Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treemedic

Guildwood Tropicals Disappointment

treemedic
17 years ago

Has anyone else received an order from Guildwood Tropicals lately? They have a 100% positive rating on Garden Watchdog so I ordered a few things this year. The cannas were listed as LARGE 2-3 eye rizomes and the Musa was listed as 12-24 inch live plant with two to three leaves for $14.95. Take look at the picture and see what I got. I emailed as soon as I got the stuff and a week and a half later I have heard no reply. With my order they asked that I leave feedback at Garden Watchdog...I'm not so sure they really want me to. Anyone else have a similar story with this company?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:408060}}

Comments (14)

• numbersix

The one in the picture sucks, it is not what they advertise. I tried to order from them about a month ago and they told me they were sold out. I think I will look elsewhere.

• numbersix

The one in the picture sucks, it is not what they advertise. I tried to order from them about a month ago and they told me they were sold out. I think I will look elsewhere.

• numbersix

• numbersix

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

Wow, that banana stalk only looks to be about 4 inches tall. Definitely not what you paid for. It does look as if it will survive and grow into a healthy banana plant, but the fact is you were supposed to get one at least a foot tall and with a few leaves. I would leave feedback if I were you. You are the customer, and you are unhappy. Those rhizomes look a little on the bad side to me, but that's just my opinion.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

Sometimes banana sellers start with a banana plant that is a foot or two tall, but trim the leaves back for shipping purposes. That may have been what they did in this case. Given warm temps that banana will likely grow quickly. Just don't overwater it or keep it too cool.

• coolcap1973
    17 years ago

I got a musa basjoo also from there about a month ago also, it looks almost like yours in that picture right now but seems to be looking a bit better than when I got it now. I put it outside when it is sunny also seems to maybe help not sure. I also bought another musa basjoo in Dundas which is close to Hamilton also that one is in better shape so now I will have 2 I bought the second one I thought the first one was going to die now I don't think so which is good.

• blondboy47
    17 years ago

Coolcap.

We bought 3 bajoos over 2 years ago, 1 from the place I think you are mentioning, in Dundas and their other outlet in Burlington.

They've since had pups, so now we have a total of 5.

Anyway, what I see with these basjoos, is that it seems hard to actually kill them, unless you let them freeze hard or get rot.

Also, I noticed that the first year, their growth was slow for the first month or so, until it warmed up. But now, into their 3rd year, I can't seem to slow them down. I overwinter them in the greenhouse, which I keep fairly cool (maybe 10C to 15C). They grew all winter long, slower than summer, but grew several leaves.

We moved all of them out last weekend and they are doing well.

I don't think that you'll have problems with yours if you follow the basics.

- well draining rich soil (compost and ferts)
    - water daily if the soil does drain fast
    - LARGE!!!!! pot! They won't do well in small, restrictive pots. They'll do ok for a while, but quickly will stunt.

We've got 3 of them in 21" round pots, about 18" deep. In those, they have grown to over 10 feet.

The pups were in smaller pots. We have planted 1 pup in the garden where it will be overwintered with heavy mulch, leaves in a cage, etc.

Still not sure what to do with the others, but if we keep them in pots, we're probably going to have to move them to bigger pots. We're tempted to just plant them as well and take a chance.

Good luck on yours.

• coolcap1973
    17 years ago

Holland Park Garden Gallery is where I did buy my second musa basjoo in Dundas very nice place I can tell you my first time going there also. So you did plant your musa basjoo outside then in the ground I still have both of them in pots for now until the long weekend of May. I am hopeing to put both of them into the ground by then and caging them with mulch for the winter. Last year I did try putting mulch over a cana tropicana plant and it died on me I think it rotted so now I will put some kind of bag over my musas so I don't kill them either. I heard that musas are rated for -20 C and we don't see that to often in Hamilton either.

• treemedic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If anyone is interested in an update....The banana is now a whopping 6 inches tall with three leaves. At least it's alive! The cannas are another story. All three came up with one shoot per root and two of them are very badly virused, the third one looks a little sickly as well.

• treemedic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe they are now out of business as the website no longer exists and they only sold over the internet. I'm not surprised after the order I received last year.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

So how did it turn out with the banana and cannas?

• treemedic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Believe it or not I am still nursing the banana and it is only 12 inches tall now. I don't know why it won't grow, but it won't. Another one I bought somewhere else last year is 6-8 feet tall with the same care. The Cannas were so virused they were all thrown out except the Banana Canna that seems to be doing well.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

I have one tiny basjoo pup that hasn't grown a bit in over a month since it popped out his little head. Keeping my eye on it but not expecting much.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County