Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a fruiting banana or non-fruiting?

Posted by coco-mut 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 10:43

I thought I posted a similar message somewhere here but I don't see it anywhere, as if it went into cyberland. I'll try again.

I have a banana plant that is a red banana, that's all it said on the pot when I bought it. Thru research I found that not all reds fruit. I know the Jamaican Reds do, I used to have some years ago but haven't for years so I bought a red banana tree and now am afraid that it might just be one for decor and not for fruit. Is there a way I can tell by looking at it if it's a fruiting banana or non-fruiting banana plant?

Thanks,

James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a fruiting banana or non-fruiting?

James, I think all bananas get fruit. Wether or not their edible is another thing.

Dean

o

Dean, thanks for the info. Seems to me that mine might be a non-edible variety. I think my banana plant is an ornamental variety. From my research I think it is. I doubt it's a Jamaican red.

Thanks

o

James, look up Rajapuri. It might be that one. I't seems like it's readily available.

Dean

o

Also, look up Musa sumatranan 'Rojo' AKA 'Blood banana'. Could be that one. It is ornamental and the fruit has seeds and is not considered edible (or edible quality).

o

Thanks. I looked up Rajapuri and looked up Rojo. It resembles the Rojo more. I think it must be that one. I am going to pull it and transplant it somewhere else in the garden. I want to put some edible bananas in it's place. Too bad. I need to get a Jamaican Red, those are edible. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here