Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blownz281

Banana Trees

blownz281
16 years ago

Hi - i have been growing a Musa Basjoo for 5 years in Ohio and was wondering if there are any other type of banana that can grow outside year around here? I read where some places claim the Musa Sikkimensis can survive zone 5 then i read somewhere else where zone 7 is the most they can survive protected?

also i bought a banana tree from my local homedepot last year out in the greenhouse they had bout two dozen of them in large pots with normal flowers you plant outside. it has been growing like crazy inside my house. Its either a blood banana or a Brown red banana, i have also heard the Blood banana can live in cold weather as well.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (3)

• diana55
    16 years ago

The Banana is a plant, not a tree, and the Basjoo Musa is the hardiest of all Banana's. There is no Banana plant that will grow all year in your area. It's best to bring them in for the winter. I live in Zone 8a which is pretty mild and mine freeze in the winter, but I mulch them and they come back. Diana55

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

The blood banana or zebrina doesn't handle cold weather. That is a "take in the house in the fall" banana. They are super cool outside in the summer though, and they will do tolerable well in the house over winter, not overwatered, and near a window.
    I've been wanting to try the sikkimensis banana too, but I haven't found a reasonable source where I could get several (a liner) yet.
    I also have a basjoo that is five years old. I guess great minds think alike! It's sprouted up about a foot so far. I did lose some of my younger ones last winter though, it got to -25 and very wet here so I think that combo did them in.
    Sincerely
    Sandy

• blownz281
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Sandy, its hard to tell when you read stuff online and one place says one thing and another says something else. it was windy here the other day and a handful of the leaves are broke now on my brown red.blood banana which ever one it is. wish i never put it out on the porch now... I have mine planted on top of my house in the front yard and they are in a top soil/pea gravel mix and i have never covered them up and they always come right back no problem and i live in ohio Z5. i cut them down once the first frost hurts them.