Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo uncovered

Posted by beachbum_nj N.J. z7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 11:20

This is my Musa Basjoo 1 1/2 weeks after uncovering from winter. Look how much it has grown already. Should I strip the dead stuff off the bottom?

Musa Basjoo 1 1/2 weeks after uncovering

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo uncovered

Wow, yours look awesome! Lucky you!

I covered mine w/ burlap and surrounded with bags of leaves, then secured a tarp over all of this. Unfortunately, when I uncovered them last week they were complete MUSH, right down to the ground. So my first winter was a failure. :( I don't know if they will come back up from the corms, but I do not see any growth at all popping up yet. We have had 9 days of rain, so I'm sure that made the mush even mushier!

I think I will just buy new ones when they come out at Lowe's, and try another method of wintering them this fall.

Congratulations on your success! You must have a well protected area!

o
RE: Musa Basjoo uncovered

Those look great and will definitely have a great jump this year,probably get 12'+ with enough sun/water-
Conifer-F,I would try cutting them down to the ground are lower,you should see something soon,one other thing most people don't think to do is to pull back the mulch so the ground can warm up,otherwise the mulch can hold the temps down as low as 40-45F when pulling back on it will get the soil temps into the 60s pretty quick!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here