Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated banana clumps w/green pups

Posted by goldpianogarden z9, S.E. GA (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 12:00

I have several variegated banana clumps all over my yard here in Brunswick, GA.....all ones I originally bought from Thailand and places like that. This year, I have several solid green pups that have come up in the clumps. I was wondering if I should remove there, for fear of the clumps slowly reverting to the green, or if they are safe to leave... Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated banana clumps w/green pups

I would move them but you can grow them for your own enjoyment maybe in hopes that it, or its pups will revert back. But I dont think its something you want leave on.

o

I would move them but you can grow them for your own enjoyment maybe in hopes that it, or its pups will revert back. But I dont think its something you want leave on.

o

Many bannanas have to be at least a foot tall to start showing color. Give them some time if they are not vareigated you can still trade them or sell them

o

I am curious about reversions myself and have some studying to do. However I don't believe that bananas revert. I know that on variegated Japanese Maples if a branch reverts you must cut it off as it will continue to grow green and will be more vigorous. Blood Grass is the same, the reverted sprouts will crowd out the good colored shoots. I suppose anything can happen but I have never seen any of my bananas change their coloration. I only have a few but have not heard of it from anyone else. So hopefully they will color up soon and someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

o

• Posted by jus256 6 Southeast Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 1, 10 at 15:37

How much do these variagated bananas from Thailand cost?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here