Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Banana Plant

Posted by geekchic LA (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 12:07

Hi all,

I have a new banana plant and I'm curious about what to do with it.

I have it in a pot and I'm switching from dragging it outside but I really want it inside so I drag it back indoors on occasion.

Should I stick it in the back yard with the most sun, or put it out front where it gets morning sun but blocked off from the afternoon heat? Or is it OK to let it grow inside the house with the window up for it to get sun during the day?

I also wanted to learn about what to feed it, outside of watering it when it's dry.

Any tips or other banana plant trees?

It's a Musa cavendishii 'Nana' that I got from Spring Hill Nursery.

Geek Chic

Here is a link that might be useful: My Geek Girl Container Garden in Lafayette, Louisiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Banana Plant

I would keep it in the front with less sun so it wont burn up on you. They prefer to be outside and do grow much better. I use miracle grow food on everything and it's never done me wrong. Your plants looks very happy & healthy.

o

hello, I have 3 cavendish banana trees, all are in the containers. Any suggestions for a good fertilizer for them. I keep them in my green house in the winter and outside for the rest of the year. Would like to post the picture but don't know how. Can anyone help?
Any advices will be appreciated.
Dee

o

Hi Dee,
The link below tells you how to post pix. Hope it helps.
I also have DCs growing in pots.I grow mine indoors over winter and put them outside in summer. I planted a pup in the ground last year and it got bigger than mom in her pot! I dug it up to bring it in, but it died over the winter. But, there's at least 3 pups in the same pot. Do yours pup like crazy? I just use epsom salts and MG fert. Good luck!

Theresa

DCs inside
April2010~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~November2009~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tropical Garden- April 2010PhotobucketPhotobucket
~~~~~~Summer 2009 Pup in Ground-7+ feet~~~~~~~~
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Photos

o

If you want them to fruit you should use a high ratio fertilizer. We have a place here that makes its own: 20-0-30 which I use once a month. I'm not sure what potted bananas will do. They have pretty extensive root systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here