Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana Lasiocarpa problem (pics)

Posted by theseventhlegend 8B Florida (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 07 at 14:42

My Banana Lasiocarpa's leaves are curling "under". I'm not sure why that is. Is it suppose to do this? It's in full sun and I water it fairly regularly. The leaves seem to be growing, are green, and are getting long but they're folding under. Not sure why. Anyone know why? Pics posted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
How much is regular watering?

• Posted by mauryc 8b-9a Louisiana (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 07 at 9:22

Looks like dry conditions to me. With that much sand in the soil water will drain off quickly.

o
RE: Banana Lasiocarpa problem (pics)

Bananas do that when they get very hot, they will extend again in the evening when it cools down.

o

• Posted by austinl Little Rock, AR, 8a (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 07 at 22:50

It looks too dry with hot conditions. Give them plenty of water. They are a beautiful banana. Mine are flowering.

o

Maybe I will dig around the banana and add mulch. I thought about transplanting the tree where it will get some more shade. Will it be ok where it's at with added mulch or should I transplant it? Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

o

Sun, May 6, 07 at 16:46

It will probably be okay as long as you mulch it heavily and give it weekly waterings.

Here are pictures of mine. Every two days or so new petals open up.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Austin1 your Banana is awesome. How long has it been bloomed? Cause it hasn't been very warm for too long. Nor does your banana seem that big to of bloomed so early. I can't wait for mine to flower.

o

Mon, May 7, 07 at 9:01

Thanks. I ordered it last year as a 5 gallon plant and grew it all last year. It started swelling in the late, late fall getting ready for a bloom. It started blooming a few months after putting it outside again in March. The height of the stem is about 3 feet. It's a beautiful banana even when it's not flowering.

o

Mon, May 7, 07 at 13:00

For a great source of growing information about musella lasiocarpa, I created a page with detailed information: http://www.bananas.org/wiki/Musella_Lasiocarpa

Austin

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bananas.org/wiki/Musella_Lasiocarpa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here