Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replanting

Posted by beachbum_nj N.J. z7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 14:43

After this extremely cold winter I was surprised to see a couple Moosa Basjoo plants coming back up.

Here's my question. In the area I have some dead plants(originals). They had bananas and died. Can I dig up those and get rid of them and transplant the one coming up in to the center of the area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replanting

• Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 20:06

Yes, but are the new pups part of the orignal plant that died ? Good chance the ones that died will push up new pups.Depending if its established or not, the corm is probably still alive and kicking..If you transplant, do only one to make sure it survives so you do not loose them all by a botched transplant..or wait until you have more than one to transplant so worst case you do not loose them all. I started with two Basjoos, one died. From the one I now have four groves with approx 60 stalks. Plenty to transplant.

o

One is the one I cut down for the winter coming back(not a pup). The other is a pup growing alongside a dead trunk.

o

Thu, May 15, 14 at 20:34

As long as you keep one , as a back up, then yes you can transplant. You should be safe. You will probably have more pups pushing up before soon. Ifyou have access to shredded mulch, not nuggets, throw some more around it and build up around it. They will spread and give you more pups. Natural hard soil does not induce pups.

o

Thu, May 15, 14 at 20:40

I have found my bananas thrive by mounding up shredded pine mulch around my plants. It packs down loosely , breaks down, and is cheap to buy.

o

I now have 4 coming up.

o

Should I place new transplants first in the pots or I can plant them directly into new place?

o

I have done both ways. If in a pot, place in shade for a couple of weeks to acclimate to being dug up. If in the ground I have placed a lawn chair, etc. to block the direct sun during the day for a couple of weeks. I just transplanted a Basjoo beginning of summer into a large pot in direct sun all day, no shade. It looked iffy the first week but It hung-in and took off. I watered everyday. I have so many now I am not that concerned but if you do not have many pups to spare then take a little more care when transplanting as not to loose any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here