Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unfortunate, or maybe dumb

Posted by scottlk San Diego (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 07 at 15:52

Well, my big ice cream took a beating last winter with the bad cold snap we had. I had to cut the main trunk down probably a foot, then earlier this spring I saw there was internal rot around the cut so I cut it down to health stem again. Well, today I went out and was poking at it - it hadn't sent up a new leave at all this year and it's pups were growing likr crazy already. I started sqeezing and poking and the stem felt mushy again so I hacked it some more. Well, there was some rot in there - but I also realized I just whacked off the flower stalk :-(

Not sure if it would have actually bloomed if I left it, but man that would have been my first.

Oh well, at least my wife bought me a raja puri for my b-day so its not all bad lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unfortunate, or maybe dumb

If the flower stalk was already rising, it would have gotten no more new leaves, and even if it successfully flowered (not likely) the fruit would most likely have been few and small. You have done all you could do, and you will just have to wait for the pups to grow. I didn't have cold issues, but lost some fruit in the nasty winds in January. That is just part of the life of a banana grower here.

o
RE: Unfortunate, or maybe dumb

Thanks for the info - good to know that even if it grew it was pretty much a goner anyway. I never thought about the fact that a flower stalk on a big leafless stem wouldn't do very well, just bad timing with the seasons I guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here