Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubbleshop

Do variagated bananas need sun or part shade?

rubbleshop
16 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone know whether Musa rajapuri variegata needs full sun or partial shade.

TIA

Comments (9)

• diana55
    16 years ago

Either, because as long as their getting some sunshine they will do fine. Diana55

• rubbleshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So they don't burn in full sun?

• bananafan
    16 years ago

My Gran Nain Sumatrana X is planted in a sunny spot. When I got it two months ago, the leaves had nice red spots on the surface and deep maroon on the underside. After planting it in the ground, some of the leaves shriveled and dried out. Few days ago, a new leaf grew, but it doesn't have the same color as it had before. Now, I'm suspecting that the degree of sun exposure might have an effect on variegated species (maybe not all, but at least for this one). I also have a Red Rowe. It's in a more shady place and it looks good, except that it is growing super slowly. Here are some pictures of the two plants.

G.N. Sumatrana X a few days at planting which was 2 months ago:

{{gwi:408684}}

Even the new emerging leaf was deep maroon.

{{gwi:408686}}

The underside of leaf has a nice maroon tone to it.

{{gwi:408688}}

G.N. Sumatrana 2 months later (leaves shriveled up) and new leaf loses all of its maroon tone.

{{gwi:408691}}

Even the underside loses all of its original color.

{{gwi:408694}}

Red Rowe in part shade:

{{gwi:408696}}

Red Rowe--underside of leaf showing deep shade of maroon.

{{gwi:408698}}

My observations on light exposure on these two variegated species at this point in time is limited. While I was writing this message, I stumbled across this website. They do have some interesting comments on light exposure for different varieties (including the ones discussed here). If interested, check this out. Anybody else has any other info/observations, would appreciate that.

http://www.agristarts.com/musa_grannaincross.htm

• rubbleshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mmmm! it looks like it is too dry for your bananas.

What I actually had in mind was whether the sun would burn bananas like the varigated Rajapuri in the picture in my link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:408681}}

• bananafan
    16 years ago

Your variegated Rajapuri looks very beautiful and healthy in the picture. Is it in full sun now? How long has it been in that planting position? Some people posted in the past about Ae Ae being sensitive to direct full sun. Maybe it works the same way with variegated Rajapuris, but if yours is in full sun, then it looks like it's ok there.

As far as my Gran Nain Sumatrana X is concerned, I still don't know the reason why it's not doing well. It has the same amount of water & fertilizer from the rest of my other bananas and other plants close to it. That's what prompted me to question the sun exposure. Another speculation may be because this plant is picky and simply needs more time to establish itself? Ha! What ever it is, I'll wait and see what happens the next few months or so. Have fun with your variegated Rajapuri. By the way, do you need to overwinter it where you are?

• rubbleshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's not just the watering. Dry air surrounding the leaves upsets many bananas, especially if there is any wind to dry leaves. They live in an uncomfortably humid jungle where it is so humid all leaf surfaces are continuously wet.

That rajapuri is my plant's parent and is only in full sun about an hour a day and I thought mine may grow better if further from the things which cast shadows most of the day, but was not sure if it would get burned. Yes, here would be touch and go whether it would overwinter in situ. Basjoo does, sikkimensis does, musella do, yunnan itinerans does, cavendish certainly doesn't! Orinoco does some years and ornata, velutina and coccinea survive outside but it is a bit of a gamble and some years they don't. That means to be on the safe side, my rajapuri is coming in the kitchen in winter.

• minibim
    16 years ago

Bananafan,
    I think both of the bananas in your photos need more water, being in Florida, humidity certainly isn't the problem.

Looking at your sand in the one photo, I'd take and mulch the whole area with real mulch 6"-8" thick. Then if you wanted that red mulch for decoration put it on top. Mulch is a great way to keep our *soil* from drying out during the summer. Plus it's a great fertilizer and a good slow way to turn your *soil* into soil! Our Florida sun breaks it down real fast too, so you'll have to apply another thick layer next spring.

Rubbleshop,
    I moved my AeAe to basically full sun, so far so good albeit it has not gone through a summer yet. It did NOT like the part sun location I had for it and it's put out 3 pups since I did move it. My variegated Namwa gets about 80% sun and shows no burn at all.

• bananafan
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips, minibim.

• miamimax
    16 years ago

Hi Rubbleshop;
    You have to take into consideration a few variables when placing variegates into different amounts of sunlight.Undoubtedly, the best for its health and growth would be the 'normal' amount of light for its non-variegated equal of the same variety. The variegated portions tend to burn out and look worse, aesthetically, but the plant itself will be healthier as it will be able to produce the maximum amount of food to support itself via photosynthesis. Another varible is if it is an albo (white) or an aureate (yellow) variegate. Albos would burn out quicker as they have no protection at all within the mutant tissue. Aureas, such as the one pictured, tend to do better in full sun than an albo would. The mutant albino tissue is completely non-functional and is only able to live by being supported by the normal green funtional part of the leaves. Aureate mutant tissue is partially functional, so they are 'stronger' plants compared to the albo variegates. Another variable to consider is the ratio of mutant vs normal tissue in that particular variegate-lots of white and little green=lots of burn, a little white and lots of green,=little burning. PS. I would LOVE to obtain a variegated Raja Puri for my collection- any source of where to get a sucker?
    Best regards miamimax@bellsouth.net

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths