Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musella Lasiocarpa

Posted by rubbleshop UK zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 16:50

Hi

My Musella has not yet grown any proper leaves after losing them in our UK winter, but has just put up a sort of leaf. It is 3 inches long and has an exceptionally wide central stem/vein whatever you call it in the centre of the leaf. I am a bit bothered that it is going to try to flower without having any leaves.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Is it just growing a funny leaf because it is too cold? All it's pups are putting up normal leaves though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musella Lasiocarpa

• Posted by austinl Little Rock, AR, 8a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 07 at 11:33

It sounds like a flower is on the way! The main plant will put on progressively smaller leaves until it flowers. Soon, the pseudostem will start swelling and a flower will emerge. Don't worry about it flowering without leaves; that's quite natural. The pups will continue to grow, and it will produce more pups also. I hope this helps you.

o

Thanks austinl. It does have one or two scruffy leaves from last year and one 6inch one it grew in March, and now a 3 inch very odd leaf just growing. This funny leaf growing is very reminiscent of my velutina's before they flower.

So I don't need remove the pups then? I mean they will not all die when the parent flowers if they remain attached?????

o

• Posted by austinl Little Rock, AR, 8a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 07 at 18:01

You're welcome.

No, you don't need to remove the pups at all, but you can if you want. The pups will continue to grow even when the mother plant blooms and dies. If you remove the pups, it is difficult to get some corm (which you must for it to live) so be careful!

o

I just separated some Lasiocarpa yesterday, it's not all that hard. Just use a garden hose to carefully wash away all the soil so that you can see what you're doing, and use a sharp steak knife to cut the pups off so that they have roots and a little bit of the mother corm attached.
I now have five pups and mom too.
Sincerely,
Sandy@Northern Tropics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here