Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slook1958

just planted musa basjoo, brown leaves already?

slook
17 years ago

Just planted a Musa Basjoo and after a week the leaves are starting to turn brown. Is this normal?

Comments (15)

• slook
    Original Author

I just bought it last week and put it outside in the ground its about 2 ft high and has 2 leaves that are turning brown, also looks like new leaves will be sprouting. I could take a picture of it but I don't know how to send it to the forum. thanks for everyones response!

• slook
    Original Author

Thanks garden guy! I called the garden place where I bought it and he said because we had a light touch of frost it probably turned the leaves brown but new shoots should be coming up.

• slook
    Original Author

I just bought it last week and put it outside in the ground its about 2 ft high and has 2 leaves that are turning brown, also looks like new leaves will be sprouting. I could take a picture of it but I don't know how to send it to the forum. thanks for everyones response!

• slook
    Original Author

Thanks garden guy! I called the garden place where I bought it and he said because we had a light touch of frost it probably turned the leaves brown but new shoots should be coming up.

• slook
    Original Author

• slook
    Original Author

• slook
    Original Author

• slook
    Original Author

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

How long have you had this Basjoo? Was it in a pot, then transplated outside? Can you get a picture? There has been a post or 2 here about brown leaves on banana plants.

• banana_fun
    17 years ago

the browning leaves are totally normal, it happens when an indoor plant is taken outside and gets burned by the sun, however, it can also be caused by cool nights and over watering. There is no need to worry, when the basjoo sends up some new leaves just cut the brown ones off. good luck

• blondboy47
    17 years ago

Just to further BF's comments, the whole point is, if you see new leaves growing, then all is well.

Our Basjoos do it a bit differently. First, the leaves turn grey from the sunburn, then bend/break in the middle, then turn brown. But the new leaves will be OK with the sun.

• coolcap1973
    17 years ago

My basjoos I planted the other day the leaves are dropping and I imagine the leaves will be turning brown soon also. I did water them last night and did noticed that my leaves perked right back up almost anyways so watering them really seems to help. But there is growth on them also I will see how the leaves come out then should be ok we will see anyways.

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

Slook, you can use this website to host the picture after you've taken it. It's free.
    http://imageshack.us/

• banana_fun
    17 years ago

During the day the basjoo leaves will droop in the sun, but come night time or cloud cover they will perk up. You need not worry about browning leaves stunting the basjoo's growth. You will all have nice big health basjoos come september/october :)

• daddyslittlegirl1800
    13 years ago

Yeah I have had the same problem. I bought a musa basjoo last week it has 4 leaves on it and when I sit it in the sun it gets all droopy! I thought it was dying on me. I will be planting it in the ground this weekend, guess it will go back to being droopy! Lol I hope it doesn't kill it.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals