Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinoispalms

Help! Musa Basjoo Wilting

illinoispalms
16 years ago

I have a Musa Basjoo that I recieved from Plant Delights a couple of weeks ago that has been doing great until now. The second leaf that came out started to wilt downwards and now it seems like the plant is not growing anymore. I had a Musa Basjoo that died with similar symptoms and I don't want to lose this one! Here is a picture:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/Illinoispalms/IMG_0703.jpg

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• diana55
    16 years ago

Your Banana looks fine to me. When the picture was taken, was it a hot day? It looks like it might have been. I find that my Banana's droop like that, when they get to warm or too cold. I think it looks really healthy!!! Let us know if it gets worse. Diana55

• blondboy47
    16 years ago

I agree with Diana... looks real good. I have one, that is just fine (pup from last year) and it doesn't look as good as that one! hehehehe

Like Diana asks... is it in direct sun/heat? They WILL droop.

Secondly, is it getting enough water? They will droop if they need more water... but then, they will also droop if they are getting too much water.... as in, the soil stays WET.

• illinoispalms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for responding! Yes, that day was pretty warm and humid and it gets full sun for most of the day. The problem is that it's NOT growing anymore, and it still wilts overnight when temperatures drop into the fifties. Is this also normal, or is this something that I should worry about?

• blondboy47
    16 years ago

What is the soil type?

How long has it been in the new soil?

What is your watering pattern?

Is the soil wet?

Is the soil dry?

It may just be adapting to its new environment.

I'd probably move it out of full "all-day sun" for a while.
    Perhaps morning sun to early PM, but I wouldn't stress it further with full afternoon sun.

Just my thoughts.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Mine has been real slow to take off here in zone 5. I planted mine out on the 20th of April and not much growth has taken place. I've had a lot of new leaves emerge, so i know they are fine...i guess they take awhile to adjust to their new summer home.

{{gwi:409015}}
    {{gwi:409016}}

The first one is larger then the second one.

• illinoispalms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Musa Basjoo has actually grown a lot after I got it, but it suddenly stopped growing. Right now it seems to be getting worse, and I've been thinking about planting it in the ground soon. The pot that it's in is pretty small so can this be the problem?

• franktank232
    16 years ago

It probably wouldn't hurt. ALthough this week is suppose to get kind of cold (low in the lower 40's) later this week. Tomorrow should be hot (near 90F). I've already got the tomatoes in, the sweet corn is 6inches tall and peppers are out...so what the heck.

• diana55
    16 years ago

Wait till the warm Summer hits them!!! They will grow like there's no tomorrow. Just give them some time!!! Diana55

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm