Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing bananas in pots

Posted by funsocaltiger SoCal Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 19:45

Hi All,

I have a simple newbie question - Is it possible to get bananas to mature and fruit in a pot? Or does it have to go in the ground?

I currently have a Rajapuri (and would like to get some other types of banana) in a 17" clay pot. The main reason I would prefer a pot is that I could take it in for the evenings in winter. I could always upgrade to a slightly bigger pot but only up until the point where two people could lift it. Since I'm in Zone 9 I don't know that I would want to dig it up to overwinter it since we only get a few days of hard frost here. I suppose I could always get a more cold hardy variety and put it in the ground though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing bananas in pots

You can get fruit in a pot, but it's more work. Could you cover one up if it was going to get cold? that would be a lot easier, I'd think. Maybe with a light bulb or heater under the covering?You are so lucky, I'd definitely trade you zones!
Sincerely
Sandy

o

Yeah I suppose I could just cover it up when it gets cold and I suppose that isn't much more effort than bringing in a 50lb pot everynight in the winter. I was mainly worried about getting the leaves covered especially once the plants get to a good height. Also is there any fire danger with the light bulb under a cover? Leaving the banana in the pot just "seems" easier though I suppose there are plusses and cons to both of them.

I assume the main problem with keeping it in the pot will be enough water and nutrients?

But yeah, speaking of zones, lately I've actually been considering planning a move to S. Florida long-term. I'm such a huge fan of tropical plants it'd be great living somewhere that was consistently warmer through the year and more humid! I know that might seem silly compared to where you live but I feel like I have to baby these plants. I've been misting the leaves and such to try to keep the humidity up now that it's getting hot here and our winters are still colder than other climates.

o

yes bananas do fruit in pots,ive seen it several times

o

I have three potted plants, all in south facing locations. They do very well, the oldest is two years. I got them from a 6' high mother plant that bears fruit. I assume that in time mine will bear fruit as well. I water them when the pot feels light, and the top 2-3" of soil is dry. I have noticed when the soil is drying out, the tips of the leaves are dripping clear fluid. Does anyone have any info on why this happens?
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here