Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana ‘Super Dwarf Cavendish’ Care

Posted by kevin-m 6 - Western New York (sunrisesaloon@aol.com) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 20:01

Hello Garden Web Friends,

A few years back, my girlfriend received a "Banana Plant" as a gift. It appeared to be a dwarf variety. She never did much with it except water it and put it outside on the deck in the summer. It always responded well and was covered with foliage.

I have since taken over the banana plant care. I recently contacted the grower and found that the variety is the ‘Super Dwarf Cavendish’.

The pot was extremely overgrown with numerous corms, so I divided the plant into a healthy twin corm for us to keep. There are 8 remaining corms which were re-potted as separate plants to be given away.

The corms were re-potted into large pots using Miracle Gro Cactus Soil. They will be outside on our deck for the summer.

I have read that an occasional feeding of Miracle Gro is good for the plant. Other than that (and proper watering techniques) What else can I possibly do to make our Super Dwarf Cavendish bear fruit?

Thanks,
Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana ‘Super Dwarf Cavendish’ Care

I have two of these that I got as tiny pups almost two years age. I just planted in regular miracle grow potting mix, and they love additional plant food. I'm starting to get pups now, but I have no clue how long I'm away from fruiting.
They sure are neat looking plants. My bigger one probably isn't two feet tall.
Chris

o

Bananas require a lot of feeding. You might want to research banana care. It can be quite complex if you want really good results.

o

Food and WATER. They love rich, fertile soils, warmth and humidity. Outside, they will take full sun but watch them for heat stress if your sun is too hot. (There tends to be a lot of clouds in humid/tropical climates, and this softens the sun some.) Also, replant when needed. P.S., nice variety as they constantly sucker and make more plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here