Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceybeth_gw

Help!

staceybeth
15 years ago

Okay, I just got a 1ft Musa! I planted it in a 16"pot with Miracle grow moisture control soil and Milorganite. I am also using a watering globe and it seems to like that too since I already filled it once since Wednesday. Today I noticed two of the stems wilting and where it was wilted was a little black. I cut the both off. The main part of the tree seems fine and healthy.... is there any thing I should be worried about? It is in the 60's right now and i put it in direct sun today... ANY advise would be great... you can email me too.

Comments (20)

• Luv My Conifers
    15 years ago

Stacybeth, Wow I could have posted this myself - I am in the exact same boat as you! I, too, just got some 1' musas and planted in pots with Miracle Gro soil (however no Milorganite -- I still have to buy some). We are having the same temps here also, and my musas all seem to have some drooping leaves (actually a couple even appear to be broken). They were in full sun, so then I tried moving them to a bit less sun... but it did not make any difference. So they are out in full sun again, and are getting watered every day, since it has rained briefly every day this week.

I am very interested to see the replies from the experts here! I hope our new musas make it! Good luck to you!

Laura

• jardinerowa
    15 years ago

Hello there!

Two things, Milorganite is not really good for potted bananas. Plants in pots have different needs and can easily get too much of a good thing.
    Also, bananas always take time to adjust when they are first obtained, put in their pot etc... I would also make sure they were first in shade, and then slowly put to full sun, unless you have a strong sun, then part shade. They have marks, and "war scars" but they'll come out of it and smile at ya now that summer is coming!

Zach

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Zack!

It has been unseasonably cool here in MA and I moved my little musa into the sun yesterday.. normally it is in partial shade...I am going to check it now...as far as Milorganite I was told by another poster that Musa's love Milorganite and it is okay to use in pots...its already mixed into the soil so I guess I wont use as much as I did the next time... I use Milorganite for my Elephant ears (all my plants are in pots, too much ledge in back)... they seem to like it too.
    \ Anyway.. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the great advise.
    Stacey

• jardinerowa
    15 years ago

Stacey,

I think once you're banana has acclimated to the sun, it's gonna love it!

Zach

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Zach.. you seem like you know alot about the Musa....Mine is shade in am and then full sun in the afternoon, around 2:30ish or so...Today was a good day.. the two leaves that are left seem to be hanging on .. tomorrow its gonna be about 80 degrees.. cross your fingers.. ALSO... how often do you recommend watering this little guy?

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is my baby Musa....Any suggestions

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:409156}}

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry about that, I am new to listing photos.. that was actually my back yard with all the pots of perrenials.. here is the link.. I think.. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:409157}}

• banana_fun
    15 years ago

Stacey, That pot is to large for that banana and growth will be slow. I would suggest potting it in a 6" pot until it becomes root bound. Banana plants do not have sensitive root structure and can be transplanted many times.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I will re-pot it right now. Thanks so much for the great advise.

• the_virginian
    15 years ago

No offense intended, but Milorganite is great in pots as I have grown some very large Rojos and Sabas in pots. It won't burn the bananas and becomes humus unlike sythetic fertilzers. It's low 5-2-0 NKP ratio is very mild, yet benefitial to plants of all kinds.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So Far my little one likes it.. I have alot of EE's and they love it too. Its in the mid to high 70's today and all my potted plants are loving this weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:409156}}

• jardinerowa
    15 years ago

Staceybeth,

I actually am a newbie on Musas...I've been studying them and learning all I can about them over the last year...there is so much to know!!
    As far as watering, you really just have to look at your nanner. When bananas are in new pots, in new situations, and changes, I really take care not to over water them...they are tender at that point. I definitely wait till the top layer(s) of dirt are dry. However if it's acclimated to a pot, location, and is reliably warm everyday, then you can tend to keep it wet.
    I'm gonna have to do some more research on Milorganite.

Zach

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there Zach!

Thanks so much for replying to my posts... I really appreciate it!!! You are not going to believe this!!! I re-potted to a 8" pot and this past weekend we have had "warmer" temps here in New England.. yesterday it was 75-78 degrees. Well i walked up to the baby today and out of the top, where I cut off the drooping dying leaves is a little baby... sprouting... I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!! Thanks to ALL that have given me wonderful advise.... I love this board!!!

• nucci60
    15 years ago

stacy, if you are using miracle gro it already has the food in it.Using the milorganite combined with overpotting could be overkill.Hard to control the water with a small plant in a large pot.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nuccie60,

I repotted the Musa to a 8" pot and it is very happy... I did it after I got the advise that it was in too large of a pot... oops.. my second Musa is coming tomorrow and I will be sure to pot it in a small pot. Question though, how am I to know when to transplant it to a larger pot?

• the_virginian
    15 years ago

Most bananas will tolerate and appreciate LOTS of fertilizer especially a natural and non burning type like Milorganite. I have yet to burn any plant with it after 3 years of using it.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Virginian.. funny thing... where I cut the little guy to get rid of the dead leaves... a new sprout is coming up from that place where I cut.. AMAZING.... Thanks again for all your help and advise... it is greatly appreciated!!!

• nucci60
    15 years ago

stacey, at the size of your plant, an 8" pot should suffice for about a month. Check the bottom of pot now and then to see if roots have hit bottom.If you enjoy bananas, Bananas.org. is a great forum. Easy to join and nice helpful people like garden web.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GREAT! I will check it in about a month... around mid to end of June.. thanks so much for all the helpful advise.

• the_virginian
    15 years ago

Staceybeth: You are most welcome sugar....Your bananas will start to go bananas when the heat, humidity and fertilizer/watering take their effect.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!