Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my banana dwarf cavendish?

Posted by glen3a Wpg MB 3A (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 21:11

I bought a banana in the houseplant section at w-mart and the tag says "musa acuminata" and states "dwarf banana", though the tag doesn't really state a cultivar name. The nursery is from Florida and does have a webpage and on there under a section called "banana plant care" they do refer to the dwarf banana as "the dwarf banana or musa cavendishii" so I am guessing that the plant I have is likely a dwarf cavendish even though the tag doesn't directly say it.

Is the summer care of all banana's quite similar regardless of type? That is, sun, moist rich soil, and a sheltered spot? I do realize that this dwarf banana must be treated like a tropical plant for winter, that is, I can't store the root like I would a musa basjoo.

If this is a dwarf sized plant when mature, does it make sense to reason that the rate of growth per summer would be less than other larger banana types? I grew a musa esete last summer and it went from a small plant to four feet high at the end of summer. Am I lucky if the dwarf banana hits 2 feet by the end of summer? Is it as tolerant of cool weather as musa basjoo or musa esete, or will this dwarf banana sulk during cool weather?

Thanks for any input, I think I'll put my dwarf banana in a pot on the deck for the summer, but I can see my Mom planting her's with her annual flowers, so I want to get an idea as to how tall it might get in one Canadian summer. Basically two months of warm weather then cooler nights by mid august already.

Glen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my banana dwarf cavendish?

If you fertilize it well it should be fine in the annual beds. Musa Basjoo would be a better choice and may even be perrienial in your area.

o

Sounds like you might just have a cavendish. It should have some cinnamon colered markings on the leaves. My "dwarf" cavendishes have gotten up to 16 feet tall btw... - stem + leaves, when planted directly in the ground. They are NOT cold hardy but overwinter well indoors. I let mine go dormant.

o

Thanks guys. Daryl, how do you make it go dormant? Do you keep in a cold room or cool dark basement? I overwintered my esete by watering sparingly and keeping in a bright window. Now I'm adjusting it back to outdoor sun.

I did obtain some musa basjoo seeds and so far 3 out of 5 have sprouted. I look forward to growing this one as well but, the musa acuminata potted plants were in the houseplant section at the store and I couldn't resist.

Thanks,
Glen

o

the bananas most often at the wpg walmarts seem to be musa little prince or sometimes the dwarf cavendish...they dont grow much bigger than they are when you bought them...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here