Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outinthegardenallday

Ensete maurelii (Red Abyssinian Banana) - first time poster

Good evening all. This is my first time to this forum.

I have a dear friend who has never steered me wrong with his plant recommendations. I saw his beautiful Ensete maurelii last August and knew I had to get one too. During a visit to Plant Delights in early May, I found a lovely plant and had it shipped up to me here on Long Island.

I've potted her up and wait. I've got her in a morning and late afternoon sun position. Plant Delights, prior to shipping, cut off all of her leaves. I've got one or two unfurling...lovely green and deep burgundy.

How shall I handle the plant for her first growing season? Should I just leave her be and let her do her thing?

I have a feeling that this plant is going to open up a whole new world for me. I tend to be a lily, daylily, rose, hosta gardener. But I was really drawn to this plant. And reading your messages on the forum has put a spark in me to try something even more exotic. Any suggestions would be appreciated (I plan on cutting the EM back in the Fall and storing her in the basement. I am not adverse to digging up and storing anything in the Fall as long as I know the end result is going to be a good one.)

Ciao,

OITGAD

Comments (13)

• subtropix
    17 years ago

Bananas grow their fastest in the ground. Provide full sun and water regularly while growing actively. They are also heavy feeders. I cut mine down and put mine into their basement dormancy around mid to late November. I do not water in the winter. I repot them in March or early april and get them going before planting in the ground (sometime in May around here). Be very careful about watering after dormancy. After repotting, I water and wait for the soil to dry before rewatering. Bananas corms will rot if excessive cool and wet before active growth has begun. If you remember this, then they are easy.

• wolflover
    17 years ago

I agree with NJoasia about growing it in the ground. My Maureliis in the ground grow a lot bigger than the one I have in a pot, and are so much more impressive. This plant is definitely worth the hassle of digging it up each fall and replanting each spring. Fertilize it often so it will really grow, and amend the soil well prior to planting.

As far as some other tropicals to grow with the Maurelii, try some large leaved elephant ears like Xanthosoma, Bird of Paradise, tropical hibiscuses, tall cannas, some spikey plants like purple sugar cane and dracaenas or cordylines, and maybe some vines like passion flowers. A red castor bean can easily be grown from seed and would add more exotic flare to your tropical garden. Before you know it, tropicals will be all you want to grow. :) Just kidding, I still have a few beds of hostas, daylilies, roses and lilies. But I mostly grow tropicals now days. :)

• outinthegardenallday
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I've decided to leave the plant in the pot. She's had enough shock this year, being torn out of her pot in NC, clipped, and then sent up to NY. She's pushing out beautiful burgundy/green leaves and that's exactly what I had hoped for. I'm going to pair her with my elephant ears (Escuelenta) for my first official Tropical Spot in OITGAD'S Garden.

Ciao and thanks again,
    OITGAD

• youngsprout1
    16 years ago

we bought 3 of these red leaved banana plants and placed them in large container H- 17 1/2" D- 22 1/2" . We placed them in front of a long white stucco wall in front of the pool. They are in full sun. Why do some leaves look droopy, yellow and burned on the edges? We keep them well watered.

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

I think,just my opinion,too much moisture in the leaf cells,and the sun if frying the leaf,because of the water built up in them.

{{gwi:409271}}

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

OITGAD:

why don't you plant the pot into the ground, you won't shock the banana, the roots will grow through the holes for faster growth, and in the fall you can pull out the entire pot, trim back the roots, store it in your garage, and plant it out next spring without any issues

i have one about 6 ft tall in it's 2nd year from seedling, in Long Island too. this plant is too vigorous for a pot unless it's a huge container.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Has anyone had their maurellis start ripping their new leaves?When I brought mine outside and potted it up larger, it started ripping it's new leaves.I realize the plant was stressed. It seemed okay for the last few leaves and now is ripping it's newest one again. It is like the leaves can't get out fast enough.My basjoo and sikki have one spear that opens and then another emerges.This one has one spear pushing out the other.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

One banana will never do!

• topher2006
    16 years ago

outinthegardenallday

Welcome to the forum !
    It will grow faster in the ground but it will grow in the pot it will grow 3 times faster in the ground but
    that is your option just make sure you water and fertilize it. Good Luck !

• sunsetsammy
    16 years ago

"Has anyone had their maurellis start ripping their new leaves?When I brought mine outside and potted it up larger, it started ripping it's new leaves.I realize the plant was stressed. It seemed okay for the last few leaves and now is ripping it's newest one again. It is like the leaves can't get out fast enough.My basjoo and sikki have one spear that opens and then another emerges.This one has one spear pushing out the other."

YES. I'm growing some ensete's that are doing exactly as you describe. Are you overfertilizing? I think that may be my problem. We've also had some really windy days here too. That wouldn't help either.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

sunsetsammy, mine seems to have stopped again. It is in a large pot and I think it is more sensitive to water intake. I n the ground it would do better i think.I am not overfertilizing and now have a moisture probe to make sure it is not overwatered.My only other potted banana is a raja puri out in the blazing sun in a blac plastic pot with no problems.basjoo and sikkis are in the ground,very happy.

• sunsetsammy
    16 years ago

Nucci60,

I have 5 ensetes growing this summer. 3 in the ground and 2 in pots. All of them get lots of sun. The two in the pots are in an area that gets hotter than the others though. I haven't noticed any ripping on the plants in the ground only in the pots. I water the heck out of all these plants.

I use high Nitrogen fert and if I accidently overdue it (I'm learning too) I notice that my bananas push out leaves that are very soft and tear easily. (Basjoo's and Maurelli's)

I'm growing for foliage only which is why I use the high N fert. My growing season is relatively short and I want the biggest plants I can get in that time.

For the most part all my plants are growing very well. Except for a couple overfertilizing mishaps. :)

• Varsi Klatzkin
    2 months ago

I am jumping on a very old post here but maybe someone can also help me. I ordered 2 Red Ensete Banana Plants and I am so dang excited. I have just grown regular Banana's in my back yard for years and just recently started doing some research on them. I have only had Bananas 1 time in my last 20 years and it was because the season ran so long and they were able to make it. Never got to eat them because the freeze came when they were green. But that is for another day. I just received my 2 baby red bananas and planted them each in a little larger pot but nothing very big because I want these outside. They are in a window sill right now because I live in Texas and we can have spring/summer/winter all in a 24 hours period. It won't probably be safe until around middle March but what is the best way to do this. Should I keep them i in bigger pots on the patio for awhile or just put them in the ground. I just can't wait to see what happens and what is your suggestion for fertilizers. I use fish emulsion on my other ones and I have a horse so between that and my compost bin, I do pretty well there. Just any ideas would be great and did I mention that I am so flipping excited about what might be... Thanks ya'll...