Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d_muscipula

Banana failing to thrive

D_muscipula
12 years ago

I recently bought an 'Ice Cream' banana and it hasn't done well since the beginning. Because it was potbound, i immediately up-potted it (no permanent home available yet). Even before that it would wilt in the heat of the day, regardless of how much water i gave it, and was a rather pale color.

After a couple weeks of no growth, it has just started putting out leaves again, but they aren't as large/long as the old leaves, came in pale (I gave it a weak soluble fertilizer after the first one and the second is just as yellow) and the old leaves are dying off with brown spots. There are also brown spots on the petioles or stem of the plant and I have been looking at disease images trying to diagnose the problem. Here's a photo of the older leaf that's dying off. The album at the link has other photos of the plant. I'd appreciate any input on what may be wrong. It's frustrating to have problems from the beginning with a plant one is unfamiliar with because it's hard to know what the cause is.
{{gwi:409293}}From Young banana plant ('Ice Cream')

Comments (3)