Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would anyone like to sell me a few musa basjoo pups?

Posted by turquoise 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 22:07

I lost mine over the winter (again). I protected them really well, but I think it's just too wet here. This year I'll bring them inside the garage I think. Would anyone part with a few pups to get me started again? I'm in Wisconsin if anyone's close. I'm having banana withdrawal and the store that carried them last year doesn't have them anymore. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would anyone like to sell me a few musa basjoo pups?

I am south of Chicago in Joliet, and I had the same problem. I dont think they can live everywere.
I had built a cage around mine, filled with much, and than wraped in plastic, and when i took them out a month or so ago, they were dead.
I dont know what im doing rong? This is the 3-4 yr that they end up dieing on me.
Now i know imdoing something right. I have 3 banana plants in the house and they grow GREAT.
Any ideas?
Id not mind some pups from someone also....maybe im buying crapy plants?

o

Hmm, I am assuming you had them planted early last year and they grew well (they were established...). While most of mine woke up very happy...I had a few that weren't coming up(a cool & crappy spring so far) so I decided to give them a boost and it worked. I made a mini hoophouse over them to heat up the ground. I used a scrap piece of fencing - 2 foot width x 48". Layed it on the ground - it had a slight bend to it creating the "hoop". Cover the area with clear plastic sheeting - stake down very well. A couple of weeks later I had literally a dozen pups under one of these. Did it again over another corm and it worked again. I ended up trading all these "extra" pups for 8 serbian fir trees...

o

I have had the same experience here. Tried to overwinter basjoo 2 winters in a row, with no success. The only thing I can think of is building a larger leaf/mulch cage. The first year my leaf cage was 3 feet wide. This year, if I get some pups early enough in the season, I'll try again with a 4 foot cage. I am happy that I brought one of the pups in the house to overwinter as a backup, because I needed it.

Have you tried to get plants off ebay?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here