Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weid leaf on little pup

Posted by scottlk San Diego (My Page) on
Mon, May 29, 06 at 22:21

This was supposedly a mysore - not sure what it may really be. It started losing the coloration at the end of last summer, but after losing most of the pseudostem this winter the color is back. It's got some extensive squirell damage now too :-(

Anyway - I's growing a weird leaf on one of the pups

Is it just a weird leaf?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weid leaf on little pup

Here's the whole plant

o

The leaf is bent in half. The top of the leaf is stuck inside but will come out in a few days if it hasn't already. If you get impatient you can gently pull it out.

o

I have mysores but none of the leaves are colored like yours. Looks more like my Hawaiian.

I've heard that bananas with red streaks on the leaves are generally plaintains and better for cooking with rather than munching. Is that true?

o

i have also heard this...

o

Solistice, I did notice that you put "generally plaintains" in your post regarding the red streaks. Tho that could be true, but Super Dwarf Cavendish bananas also have some red streakage in the leafs as well, which I have on mine. Any kind of cavendish isn't a plaintain, but I'm just pointing out anyways.

o

Most Cavendish types have red markings, though maybe not as much, and are not plantains.

The red markings come from the A or Accuminata strain in a banana's genes. That rules out its' being a BB, BBB, or BBBB type genetic makeup.

Rhino Horn has a lot of red markings when younger.

o

Well, whatever this guy is it is by far my most cold sensitive banana. It took a beating last winter, and just recently I noticed the base of the stem/into the corm were getting some rot on the main plant. I decided to do surgery to remove the healthy pups and try and remove the corm/stem cancer. It was surpisingly easy for my first time banana-ectomy. Just dug up the clump, washed off the root ball and cut/snapped off the pups. Seemed to go well, we'll see how they do.

The main plant, with another small pup comin up:

It's kids:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here