Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to order Banana seeds

Posted by nyssaman Z6 ON (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 22:33

I was thinking about ordering some Musa Sikk seeds and some others and I'm wondering if it is too late in the season to order because the seeds would be too old with lower viability rates - considering most Banana seeds seem to have low viability already.

Cheers

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to order Banana seeds

Jeff,

I just ordered some the other day.

Dean

o

Hey Jeff,

I bought a Musa Sikkimensis at Broadway nurseries this spring. it was $34.99 and fairly big with a few pups. Sure beats waiting for seeds to germinate.

o

A valid concern regarding seed viability but I don't think bananas are necessarily a type of crop that's harvested in our fall (northern hemisphere autumn) only. Thus it's sort of hard to say when the seeds that you received are harvested, it might depend on where the online nurseries and such get their supply of seed from. I guess some seed companies do seem to pack seeds annually ("packaged for spring 2008").

Regarding planting seeds this year, it might be too late to plant seeds and still have huge plants this year, but you could grow as a smaller patio plant and then as a houseplant for winter and put back outside next year.

Here there seems to be a shortage of places to obtain live growing banana plants. I saw dwarf Cavendish being used at the nursery as a bog pond plant. I thought to myself if they would bring in a few more of them, put up a display of them in the "annual flowers" section: banana plants, cannas, palm trees, etc. they could really increase sales by pushing the "tropicalesque gardening" idea on people.

Glen

o

banana seeds dont produce banana plants...

o

Igotthis1 one, can you run that by us again? Do you grow bananas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here