Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flag leaf & bloom at last!!! (pics attached)

Posted by bananafan 9bfl (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 0:40

After having waited patiently since acquiring my first banana plant in January of 2005, I'm finally seeing my first flag leaf and bloom! This is a plantain we got from a local nursery--don't know what it's called. It survived the cold alright. After that, I noticed that the leaves weren't as big and long as they used to be. Is this a sign that the bloom is coming? How long is it going to be before the first mature fruit? My daughter thought the banana tree was going to be gone soon after it bloomed, but I told her not as yet. It was an exciting day for all of us seeing for the first time a flag leaf and the bloom!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I also included here two pictures of the pup. I don't know what's going on here. The new leaf looks diseased and the other leaves look odd and are shorter than those of the other pups that were separated and transplanted elsewhere. I heard there are two kinds of pups--the sword sucker and the water sucker (which doesn't produce good fruit). I'm wondering if this is a water sucker. I was going to let it take over when the mother plant dies after fruiting. Wondering if I should keep it or grow something else here.

If anyone has some answers for me, would appreciate much. Meanwhile, I can't wait to see how the bloom on the mommy plant will develop (will pose pictures later as it develops).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flag leaf & bloom at last!!! (pics attached)

Probably winter stress. Let it be and it will return to normal.

o

Congrats on the flag. Red

o

I was really excited to see the little bananas emerging for the first time. I have seen some of the pictures posted here of some of your bloom and don't remember seeing this shape of bananas. Like I said before, I didn't know the name of this plantain, but from the way the bananas look, they remind me of some African rhino horn pictures I've seen on the internet. Could it be this variety? Does anyone here have a rhinohorn and can confirm it? Or maybe it's something else that you know of?

o
winter stress

pitangadeigo, I really hope it's just the witner stress. I've been waiting patiently for it to come around and do better. The weather here is consistently hot and humid with plenty of rain these days. My other bananas are happy. It's sad it see a few not doing well. My Pisang Ceylong, Goldfinger and Sumatrana Cross X have literally stalled. The worst is Sumatrana. I will post about it on another thread later.

cactus6103, thanks for your well wishes. Do you also grow bananas? I've only started doing this a little less than 3 years ago.

P.S. I thought I had posted this message, but maybe I lost it. This is my second attempt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here