Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitangadiego

Pisang Ceylon

pitangadiego
17 years ago

This one has finally fruited, and well worth the wait. Nice, smooth sweet flavor with some sort of a fruity/citrusy aftertaste. They are about 3-4" in length. Definite keeper. They looked skinny right after blooming, but filled out very nicely.

{{gwi:409881}}
{{gwi:409883}}

Comments (10)

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

Nice photo. I've never heard of that variety.

• pitangadiego
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I hadn't either, but I am willing to try anything I don't already have. Sometimes it pays off. Belle was another unknown that turned out to be a winner. Now I am waiting on Tomoc and Malango.

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

pitangadiego, how do you find out about such varieties of bananas? Do you research on the web and go from there? Of all the bananas that you have grown, what are the top 3 bananas that gave you the most problems and why?

• hibiscus909
    17 years ago

MMM, citrusy, sounds good.
    I have seen pisan ceylon and pisang ceylan refered to as an improved mysore.
    Haven't heard of Tomoc and Malango, tho.

seahorse

• smalltubes
    17 years ago

I have a pisang ceylon and i got it at Home Depot! Last Summer a real stunner, let me ask doeas yours have red undersides of the leaves?

• pitangadiego
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No red undersides on the leaves.

My Pisang Ceylon came from an Ebay source.

RE: problems, the worst was AeAe, just up and died after year and a half, and took 4 pups with it. Only one I ever lost.

Reds are a problem because they are more cold sensitive (Dwarf, Tall, Iholena, Kru, etc.).

Other than needing propping (usually taller slender varieties), the rest are pretty hassle free.

• dghays
    17 years ago

I've had Pisang Ceylon for over 3 years. Its also very prolific growing and fruiting. I have 3 more bunches of fruit in process, ate one already this spring. My fruit have a tad of orangish color in the middle. To me they have a more dense flesh, and a tropical aspect to the taste. Still waiting to try my other 7 or 8 varieties. Hurricanes keep knocking them down when they're fruiting or about to.

Gary

• cowboyup4christ
    13 years ago

Mine does have red in the stems as well as a red cast to the underside of the leaves. I got mine from a source on bananas.org which is really reliable.

• timetraveler zone 9b Melbourne Beach, Florida
    13 years ago

I've had mine for nearly 3 years now (thanks, Gary). The winter cold killed a bunch of fruit, but the plants came through fine. To me these bananas taste a bit like apples rather than citrus.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I did extensive research online and there are many banana experts who regard Pisang Ceylon as the top best tasting variety out of all the different bananas, although several other varieties come very close.

If you are a beginner just starting out and reading this, don't think you have to get Pisang Ceylon; there are many other banana varieties that taste just fine. This is a variety for banana connoisseurs. Combines excellent flavor and creamy texture with those tropical floral aromas that are completely lacking in standard supermarket bananas.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional