Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imqtpi

We're gonna have some Sabas!

imqtpi
16 years ago

Hi guys!

I still consider myself a "Nanna Newbie" even though I've been growing bananas since early '04...

Awhile back (year-before-last, I think?) I'd posted that I was worried about whether my nannas would survive winter. Your awesome feedback was "Yes, they will." And... Your awesome feedback was CORRECT - so Thanks!!!

Well, a couple of my Goldfingers "gave up the ghost" (last winter) - but I ended up with pups who survived (Yay!). And my Saba... Well, she not only "pupped" but I discovered an inflorescence just about a week ago (Double-Yay!).

I'm so excited about the nanners, I actually gave 'em their own webpage - with pictures, even (linked below)!!

(And I think I can graduate from "Nanna Newbie" Status - once I've produced some actual bananas!!!)

Anyway, now I've got more questions (So I can "graduate," you understand! ;-)

1. How many "bunches" can I realistically expect to get from this monster (I call her a monster b/c I planted her in a bad spot - and she's freakin' HUGE @ >15' tall!!!)?

2. "What happens next?" I think we've got 3-4 "bunches" so far - will there be more???

3. How long will it take before we get viable, presumably edible, bananas?

4. Will it happen before winter (freezing) temps kick in? And if not, is there anything I can "do" about it???

5. Has anyone had any experience w/Sabas and are they really edible "off-the-tree?" Or will I have to cook 'em? Not that I'm opposed to that - but I'm curious! (Googling 'Saba Banana' has given me the impression that they need to be cooked)

6. Am I gonna have to prop this baby up as the nannas mature (I'm guessing "Yes" since she's already leaning!).

7. And what techniques have ya'all utilized for propping Mondo-Tall Nanna-Trees???

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/feedback/whatever!

-Nancy (aka IMQTPI)

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 IMQTPI Goes Bananas!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!