Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_palm_crazy

Banana With Half Leaf

josh_palm_crazy
15 years ago

Hi. I have what I think is Musa acuminata 'ice cream'. In the past few days it shot out what looks like a normal leaf but only half the length of the others. I'll post a pic in the morning. My question is, is there any other reason this wouldn't be the half leaf that sometimes comes before the flag leaf and bloom?

Jay

Comments (8)

• lac1361
    15 years ago

Cold and stress can sometimes cause the leaves to be smaller than normal. How tall is your Ice Cream? Here in the South, they usually bloom at about 12 to 15 feet. If, in fact, it is a half leaf then the next leaf will be the flag followed by the bloom. Do post a picture. I would help a great deal.

Steve

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Steve. Right now its 7 1/2 ft tall. However before I cut it down last year it was 13 - 14 ft. What you see regrew from the mother corm. It was cut to about a foot tall and then potted up on Feb 20th then planted out in late April. Tell me what you think.

{{gwi:409939}}

{{gwi:409941}}

And whats this action!? LOL!
    {{gwi:409943}}

• lac1361
    15 years ago

I can easily see your half leaf. And that's what they look like when about to flower. What's puzzling to me is your third picture. Tell me what's going on. I see a new unfurled leaf coming out but I also see part of what appears to be another leaf partially open (is it part of the unfurled leaf?)
    Steve

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not exactly sure either Steve. Its like its deformed but I don't know the reason. What you see is part of the unfurled leaf that is torn a bit. Its like they're getting squeezed as the come through the psuedostem. I hope its going to flower but I also hope its not just deformed for some unknown reason. Its been very healthy up until this point.

Jay

• lac1361
    15 years ago

OK, have you recently has a spell of cool weather; say in the 40's. Your banana looks like it is choking; a condition where the bloom gets stuck in the pseudostem and is unable to grow out. It can be caused by cold weather at the wrong time (when it's about to flower). You need to watch it closely and might have to do a little surgery. You can take a sharp knife and slit down the pseudostem vertically where the choking is occuring. It might save it. However if the damage occured earlier in the life of the banana, that one is toast.

Steve

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

You could have leaf rollers. Common in cannas and bananas.
    I use sevin dust. The leaf will have holes all in it and be deformed.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana leaf roller

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

I had the same stunted leaf problem with a 1 foot basjoo that I planted. Not sure if it was caused by cold, transplanting, or by too much fertilizer applied when I planted it. Either way, the leaf was half the size of the leaf before it, but since, it has put out 2 leaves that are about 3-4 times the size of the miniature leaf. As for the newest leaf that hasn't opened yet, I'm not sure.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Jay,I have had my rowe red do this,I think as a responce to the wind which kept breaking the new leaves,I know you have a lot of wind where you are too,the rowe reds have returned to more normal size leaves, but this does not necessarily seem to be the prob here,so I agree with Islb that it is probably stress induced in some way, wind or not with all thats been said you should find out soon since they grow so fast,would be exciting if it is blooming though!good luck Jay

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations