Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Musa Basjoo 1st One

Posted by josh_palm_crazy 6b PA (joshuathomasson@comcast.net) on
Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 1:47

Hi

Ijust got my first Musa Basjoo. Its 4 1/2ft tall. Just plannted it today. Is in full sun and Ill keep it nice and moist. How tall will it be by the end of August?

Any information about fertilizing would be great too. Thanks, josh_palm_crazy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Musa Basjoo 1st One

josh, your gonna be hooked now. The plant,now matter how tall, still has to settle in a bit before it takes off.Where did you get one that large? If you see the next couple of leaves emerging smaller than the previous ones don't be alarmed.

o

I use Organic matter to fertilize them, and I also use Organic Fish emulsion. They love it!!! You can buy it at Walmart. Diana55

o
Forgot to tell you !!!

You will find that next year, your Banana will grow better, once the roots have been established. Enjoy it!!! Don't forget to protect it this winter!!! Diana55

o

It will take a while to settle in and grow a good root system, so don't expect too much growth this year. I've never started with one that large, but I'll make a wild guess of somewhere between 6 and 10 feet, depending on how big a shock the move was, and how much you fertilize.

Use your regular fertilizer at full-strength per the label. I like to use Osmocote time release and supplement with half-strength MiracleGro liquid every few weeks, but that might be a bit much for one that's just been planted. Some people swear by organics or even lawn fertilizer.

o

Mine didn't do a whole lot for about a month (although i planted too early, i think), so its POSSIBLE that it could take some time to get established.

o

So here it is 4 1/2ft $20!!! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I forgot to look at the name of the place because I was so excited. I'll post it later.
josh_palm_crazy

o

Nice deal you got. Would love to see your source!

o

Sweet basjoo. I couldn't find them anywhere this year. I even had one guy order them in 3 times, and they never came. I ended up buying (2) 8" plants for $20 on eBay. I planted one at my parents yesterday. I will be planting mine at my new house as soon as I close in early July.

I got your e-mail but was gone all weekend so couldn't respond. Been busy moving. Selling and buying a new house is a pain in the arse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here