Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

more than one type of variegated AE AE??

Eggo
17 years ago

Some AeAe looks like its completely green/white, completely lacking any red.

Some AeAe seems to have a reddish tint to the trunk and stems.

Is it possible that there is two variations to these bananas?

Comments (13)

• hydro_grower
    17 years ago

not that i've ever heard of..

hg

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

Same here as well. I've never heard of any aeae plant that has other colors other that white and green. Some aeae's will default back to all green if conditions are not right.

• miamimax
    17 years ago

I have seen some AeAe which are grown in full sun have slightly pink petioles and slight pink coloration on the trunk, I also received a photo of a musa in a collection in Thailand which was called Musa AeAe cv. 'Florida'. It looked like it had a slightly more slender trunk and thinner, longer more arching leaves than normal AeAe. Probably another 'sport' of AeAe, or could just be growing conditions.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Miamimax, I just begun growing this mysterious Musa 'Florida' variegated one. Its just a tiny tiny thing right now but I'll let you know how it goes and if there truly is any kind of difference in it compared to an AeAe. I think its extremely hard to find any kind of unique cultivar that truly has the variegation of an AeAe. Compared to other variegated types, the white on an AeAe is almost a fluorescent milky white. No other variegated Musas I've come across has ever had this kind of brightness.

• miamimax
    17 years ago

Hey Eggo. Here's one that I think will be just as good, unfortunately, it arrived with only a local Thai name 'Giant Tanna'. A common Thai native musa they use for fiber. This is a white variegated sport. The leaves are a very dark emerald green and the clear white variegation is extremely promising. The leaves are very glossy with longer petioles than AeAe. Looks like the leaves will end up being longer and more slender than AeAe too. Still a young plant, I cant wait to see how 'Giant' its going to get! Ill post 2 nam wah variegates here for you as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:407379}}

• miamimax
    17 years ago

Here is an example of one variegated form of Nam Wah. Less sunlight and the variegation fades to light green on all leaves to the point that it is barely recognizable as a variegate. Older leaves tend to fade to light green with age as well. Bright light and the variegation is clear white,burns a bit, but older leaves still fade to light green. This is being grown under 65% Florida sun. I found that growing under this amt of sunlight gives good coloration without any of the burning, and still retains the visible variegation.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:407377}}

• miamimax
    17 years ago

Here is another example of variegation in Nam Wah. Amount of light also influences the brightness and clarity of the white coloration. More sun and the white is brighter, less and its more subtle. Not as affected as the previous form concerning light though, still retains obvious variegation under lower light.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:407378}}

• minibim
    17 years ago

I have a variegated Nam Wah similar to your form 2 picture. Apparently very cold sensitive as it basically stopped growing for most of this winter. It's now growing again and is putting out a nice variegated leaf. When I first planted it the variegation was very pale.

It's my own totally unscientific opinion that the variegates like a lot more acidic soil to produce their colors. I notice this with my Heliconias, the AeAe banana and this Nam Wah also. When I first plant any, I add a bag of Feline Pine cat litter to the bottom of the hole.

{{gwi:410020}}

• miamimax
    17 years ago

Ive never really noticed any difference in variegation amounts with the addition of different 'additives'. Some people will tell you that you can fertilise the variegation right out of a plant and that it forces or encourages green growth to the point that the plant reverts entirely. I just havent experienced that ever happening. I really tend to believe that it probably was just going to revert anyway as somatics often do. Somatic variegates revert and change amounts of mutant tissue exhibited all the time. They arent stable to begin with. AeAe isnt stable either. Ive had plenty of variegates revert with or without any additives. Ive had small TC nanners showing phenominal variegation and then revert completely as they grew. I never throw them out just in case. Good thing too. Ive had 3 of them start screaming with variegation once they got about 4' tall and those are some of the best 'lookers' Ive got in my collection! I could be really wrong, but mutant tissue in the apical meristem is still mutant tissue in the apical meristem. In the end I really believe that each (somatic) variegated plant has a certain amount of mutant tissue passed onto it from its parent and each will look different because of this. I dont see how amendments and fertilisers can just get rid of a mutation. Of course it makes sense that these would encourage growth, vigor, etc., but wouldnt it just encourage ALL growth, both mutant and normal tissue? Any somatic variegate will want, and try, to produce more (normal) tissue with chlorophyll to feed itself. Its just trying its best to compensate so it can better support the non functioning tissue. Ive also used epsom salts on nanners, heliconias, and gingers and I didnt notice any marked difference in growth or in amounts of variegation compared to the plants that I didnt give it to. Maybe its because I grow most of my rare variegates in pots with my own soil mix and they arent growing in the ground that needs amending? I use Fish emulsion during the summer months and thats about it anymore. Just a few thoughts to mull over......

• Eggo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, I love all these variegated Namwah you guys are growing. Nice one you got there too, Minibim, how long have you had it?
    okay guys, my turn.
    This is a tall Namwah. Fruiting height is about 12feet and up. The variegation has so far been pretty even. It has developed into a more blotchy pattern than when it had first started out which was more thinly striped like Minibim.
    {{gwi:410022}}
    This is a dwarf form. Fruiting height is at about 9feet. Its suppose to actually be a white/green form. Who knows, maybe it will become white/green later on as the plant matures. But I am hoping it remains yellow as I like that the yellow variegates doesn't burn as easily.
    {{gwi:410023}}
    By the way, I also sent you an email Miamimax.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Miamimax, I've noticed that some of the variegation on my plants will also change but I didn't really find any kind of correlation between fertilizer and variegation pattern. My regimen pretty much remain the same but the variegation at times seem very strong and at times very weak and also slight changing of the color here and there also. I understand the reasoning behind increasing the variegation as I think the green cells can end up being more vigorous at times and folks have sworn that amending the soil has worked. I don't disagree but would also like to add that even without changing my fertilizing regimen, I've still had unstable irratic changes in the variegation pattern for my plants.

• bananafan
    17 years ago

All your variegated Nam Wahs are sooooo beautiful.

I'm quite recent to banana planting (only started a couple of years ago). Ever since then, I have been collecting them. None of them has died on me yet (keeping my fingers crossed), although a few days of below 40's last month has actually damaged most of their leaves.

I would very much like to own one of the variegated kind. I've been reading about Ae ae, but it seems almost impossible to purchase one. Is it easier to purchase a Nam Wah variegated? Where can I get one like yours and would the price be more affordable than the Ae Ae?

• miamimax
    17 years ago

Bananafan;
    I've imported my Nam Wahs from Thailand. Asiatica had them for sale in the past, and they were the only US source I knew of, I don't think they have them anymore. As for the price, sit down. $500-$1000 each. Some I was fortunate in being able to trade for variegated musa not available in Thailand. Id try growing AeAe first simply for the costs incurred. I find Nam Wahs easier to grow though.