Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The naming of parts

Posted by bananamarg London, UK (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 4:05

Where can I learn the botanical terminology for the parts of a banana plant? By reading all your conversations I have learned that what I call the 'trunk' is in fact a psudostem and that the bit under the ground is the rhizome and that the flowering/fruiting bit is the inflorescence. What is an sdc or a dc? Who can explain to me why the male flower (for which I wait with bated breath) appears so long after the female flowers have faded?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The naming of parts

Well, I can help with the initals..

DC = Dwarf Cavendish

SDC = Super Dwarf Cavendish

o

I drew this a long time ago, it shows many of the basic parts of a banana plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Diagram

o

This page is also very helpful as well.

http://www.iita.org/info/trn_mat/irg66/irg66obj.html

o

Thanks for your replies everyone. I should have been able to guess DC and SDC - sorry. I've printed off part of your diagram Gabel5 but don't seem to be able to get it all. (I'm an old lady and not very clever on the computer!) I see from other threads that you are going to college soon - what are you going to study? Banana Science perhaps? Gardenguy - hi - your suggestion was extremely informative. I was hoping you'd answer as you seem to know what you're talking about! Love to you all xxx

o

The "pseudostem" is a cluster of petioles and the underground part that the petioles connect to is the stem.

o

yes i am going to college soon and want to hopefully eventually study Musa pathology in Hawaii in addition to anything else banana related.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here